Faint black and white lines in Poser 7 Firefly render

NeyjourNeyjour Posts: 12
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Granted, they're barely visible and would be very easy to fix with postwork, but I'd like to get rid of them in the render if possible.

I'm also attaching the render settings.

Firefly_Render_Settings.PNG
676 x 555 - 74K
Firefly_BW_Lines.PNG
656 x 662 - 492K

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,440
    edited December 1969

You may want to slightly raise the Shadow Bias setting on one or more of your shadow casting lights.

• NeyjourNeyjour Posts: 12
    edited January 2015

You may want to slightly raise the Shadow Bias setting on one or more of your shadow casting lights.

The lights I'm using are a preset (Image Based Lighting) that came with Poser 7. There are 4 lights and none of them have the shadows toggled on.

But... I have Ambient Occlusion nodes attached to the skin and clothing. Could that be what's causing it?

Post edited by Neyjour on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,440
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure, it certainly sounds plausible.

• ConnaticConnatic Posts: 279
    edited December 1969

Try entering a non-zero Min Displacement bounds value. Maybe .001 and see what happens.

edited December 1969

Connatic said:
    Try entering a non-zero Min Displacement bounds value. Maybe .001 and see what happens.

Thanks Connatic. I'll give that a try! :)

I'm fairly certain now that the problem does lie within the render settings. I set up a new scene with a different character (and no AO nodes), different lighting, but the exact same render settings... and I'm still seeing these lines. And they're even more prolific and noticeable on dark textures, so I really do need to fix this... it would be way too much tedious postwork otherwise. :P

edited December 1969

Connatic said:

0.001 = no change
    0.01 = no change
    0.1 = success!!!

Thanks very much Connatic! :)

• ConnaticConnatic Posts: 279
    edited December 1969

I have a suspicion that the degree of ambient occlusion you are using is reacting poorly with displacement.