How come Animations in the ViewPort Don't Play in Real Speed and they skip Frames?

And i even switch to wireframe, it's not like i'm in iRay preview render mode, not even in Filament, not even in Texture shaded, now i'm in Wireframe or the one close to that, and when i play animations, they skip frames, they lag and they don't play smooth in the view port. Does DAZ just can't handle playing animations for somereason, maybe just dealing with the characters takes too much memory or something?

Comments

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822
    Daz is not well optimized in general. We're all hoping the upgrade to Qt5 will improve the UI.
  • takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,941

nokoteb99 said:

And i even switch to wireframe, it's not like i'm in iRay preview render mode, not even in Filament, not even in Texture shaded, now i'm in Wireframe or the one close to that, and when i play animations, they skip frames, they lag and they don't play smooth in the view port. Does DAZ just can't handle playing animations for somereason, maybe just dealing with the characters takes too much memory or something?

It's because Daz studio has to constantly calculate fitted clothing/smoothing modifiers/hair and the like so it's an amazing accomplishment that Daz studio can keep the ram from topping out to 64-128Gb! But the sole solution I have found is to empty Genesis of EVERYTHING that is fitted on the model, such as Eyebrows and even lashes, not to mention clothing and hair, then you'll be able to see your animations run much much smoother!

Seriously, the change is dramatic!

I find that you have to have an empty character to first do your animations, then either re-fit your accouterments after you're done or load them in and then re-fit them, because the lag is caused by extra heavy calculations from fitted clothing/hair/etc while running the smoothing modifier so the lag is simply too much for the program to keep up! Also, it's good to keep your Genesis at base resolution with the subdivision at 0!

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751

It could do with a caching pass so the first time you play through it's slow and the second time it's super smooth.  Anyway if you want to play all frames without dropping any there's an option on the hamburger menu on the top right (Play All Frames).

• dougdoug Posts: 11

Robinson said:

It could do with a caching pass so the first time you play through it's slow and the second time it's super smooth.  Anyway if you want to play all frames without dropping any there's an option on the hamburger menu on the top right (Play All Frames).

We really need this on the next version. no reason to render every frame over and over.

• KenYanoKenYano Posts: 84

If you go to the TImeline and the hamburger menu all the way on the right it will bring up the menu and you can click "Play All Frames" so when you hit play in the Timeline you can view every frame in playback.

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,906

It doesn't play perfect in playback in blender or Maya either, even if it's just a character and no clothes or hair. I usually animate that way because it is quicker in the viewport, but not perfect so I bring in the clothes later. When I was taking classes at animation mentor, we used Maya with rigs that weren't resource heavy at all but still weren't playing perfectly in real time. My instructors all said don't believe the viewport, playblast the sequence often to watch it and get a feeling. So I do that all the time, I just render the open gl viewport view in daz constantly and double check how things feel. As long as it's just the character(s), it renders pretty quickly. 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,114

doug said:

Robinson said:

We really need this on the next version. no reason to render every frame over and over.

Don't forget that morph deltas (the shape chnage) are not loaded until needed - so on first play through the scene is potentially loadign various JCMs for the bends that were not needed for frame 0.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,770
    edited March 15

benniewoodell said:

It doesn't play perfect in playback in blender or Maya either, even if it's just a character and no clothes or hair. I usually animate that way because it is quicker in the viewport, but not perfect so I bring in the clothes later. 

Yes, you should always animate a “bare bones” version and save the motion data an apply it to your hi res fully dressed render version later .

i'm in Wireframe or the one close to that, and when i play animations, they skip frames, they lag and they don't play smooth in the view port. Does DAZ just can't handle playing animations for somereason, maybe just dealing with the characters takes too much memory or something?

The only way you are going to get “realtime” animation plyabck in the viewport is with a game engine or Reallusion Iclone (which has basically a DirectX game in its viewport engine) 

Post edited by wolf359 on