Saving scene question

I created some DAZ scenes and saved the scene/folders to one of my hard drives. Later I copied those folders to another hard drive and erased the first drive. Problem is - when I try to open these scenes, it flagges me that all of the pieces were missing (since the original HD was gone).

How do I save my scene so I can move it anywhere and it will still load?

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

How did you save them?

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

Scene files don't store assets. Are all the assets you used installed properly?

• CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206

If the scene is saved and you have all files on that system it will load the scene, i have Daz3d on two PC's one offline rarely updated and my main machine i can still use a scene from my old off line pc on my online updated pc because i have all the files required, but if i moved a scene from my updated pc back to my offline pc i would have to download those files for it too work.

• LD1LD1 Posts: 135

OK I don’t get it - I am opening all sorts of saved scenes and only some look for the original Hard drive (with the name that no longer exist). Others open just fine. I don’t know what the difference is between them.

Maybe a better question is: How do vendors save their scene so that anyone can open it (it doesn't ask for the hard drive that the vendor created it on)?

• CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206
    edited July 2021

LD1 said:

OK I don’t get it - I am opening all sorts of saved scenes and only some look for the original Hard drive (with the name that no longer exist). Others open just fine. I don’t know what the difference is between them.

Maybe a better question is: How do vendors save their scene so that anyone can open it (it doesn't ask for the hard drive that the vendor created it on)?

Sounds like you have file pathing issues with some scenes not locating the files in the scene, you need to place that scene file in the correct path for it too detect it or change where it's looking for files. i can see where you install content in appications/data/my daz 3d Library but i don't see where the scene files would be kept because it's not in this same location where you would install content which is the data folder, that doesn't hold the scene file data, Your looking for the file path that holds the saved scene data not the installed content. That i can't find the location too maybe someone else here knows the exact file tree location to saved scene data, you need to replace the scene information there

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Scenes, by design, asve only links (the relative location within a content directory - they don't care where the content directory is) for pre-existing content and for things like Poser Content (which get saved to an auto folder in the data folder); some other things - imported morphs or other geometry changes not saved to an asdset or imported OBJ files, for example - are embedded in the scene file itself.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

Sounds like you have used assets, materials or textures that have not been installed into DS content library and/or saved within your content library folder structure