Iray problems for noob

Hi! When I create a scene with a character and just basic iray light everything

is fine. But sometimes when I add props to scene some textures seem to break,

the skintone turns red, there are strange "see-throughs" and the eyes change.

This does not happen with every prop and not with every thexture (I think). Is

this something anyone else has experienced and solved?

(I don't have renders here but I can attach some later if needed.

Thanks!

Mathias

Comments

• CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206
    edited July 2021

Depends on the content your using can't tell with your current discription your exact problem, I can suggest a few things, make sure it's Iray shaders not 3DL your using when rendering in Iray, i have had some issues with eyes not rendering, you can change things into Iray but this method you need to follow a few instructions to change the subsurface of the item so it renders fully in iray, there are a few options to tick for different items to get them to show up, heres a few steps to get textures working in iray that you could try.

First Select surfaces tab. In the top right corner of the tabs you need to goto preferences then select Show Hidden Properties once you do that then goto your smart content menu select shaders from the drop down menu, you'll see Default Resources click on that, then find the Subsurface Shader Base, select the item you want to resurface apply the subsurface shader then goto surfaces tab and bring up the items details scroll down till you find two settings called Subsurface On/ Off & another called Subsurface strength, Turn the Subsurface ON to 1.00 then increase the Subsurface Strength to 200.0%, if this doesn't work you may need to increase the suburface by changing the colour tone in the colour panel Subsurface color & lastly you can increase the lumens if that setting is available to turn up the brightness of shaders so they show up in Iray.

If it's not a subsurfaces issue then it could be an emission issue, in that case you adjust the brightness of the item under the same sufaces tab for that prop or outfit mesh. Older meshs sometimes need the subsurface turned on for them to work in Iray, you may just leave the subsurface strength at 100 aslong as the subsurfaces is switched too ON and set at 1.00 this usually turns any graphics to it's intended brightness in Iray renders.

You'll find V4/M4 Genesis & some gen 2's suffer from these issue's stuff converted from gen 2 pretending to be 8's when they have not been specifically made on a gen 8 model shape with it's particular morphs also lack some options like subsurface turned on for iray because they were probably used more common in other formats like poser and haven't been updated for Iray because most of the content is too old not worth updating.

Post edited by Cenobite on
  • margrave said:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/506431/the-black-eyes-bug-explained

Thanks! That solved the problem. I moved everything so that the character ended up at 0. One more question: how do I follow option 2?

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

mathias7212 said:

margrave said:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/506431/the-black-eyes-bug-explained

Thanks! That solved the problem. I moved everything so that the character ended up at 0. One more question: how do I follow option 2?

Go to the Render Settings tab and change the Instance Optimization setting to Memory or Speed.