How to hide the unhideable?

Hello! 

So, hypothetically, how might someone go about hiding certain walls or elements from a building if that building's walls can't be hidden by normal means?

For most buildings, you can usually select a wall and hide it from the scene entirely. Sometimes you can select the surface of a wall and set the opacity to 0 to achieve the same effect.

However, what if you have a building that is basically all one piece (all 4 walls and celing are one item) and has a singular surface so that you can't turn the opacity to 0 for a single wall? Is there a workaround to be able to remove a wall or otherwise create a cross-section?

Thank you kindly for any advice!

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,915

If changing the opacity isn't working (though I'm not sure why unless it isn't a material zone of its own), you will have to create a transparency map and apply it to that wall (giving it has a material zone of its own) otherwise you have to figure out on the map which wall is which and block it out that way.

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

PVGames said:

Hello! 

So, hypothetically, how might someone go about hiding certain walls or elements from a building if that building's walls can't be hidden by normal means?

For most buildings, you can usually select a wall and hide it from the scene entirely. Sometimes you can select the surface of a wall and set the opacity to 0 to achieve the same effect.

However, what if you have a building that is basically all one piece (all 4 walls and celing are one item) and has a singular surface so that you can't turn the opacity to 0 for a single wall? Is there a workaround to be able to remove a wall or otherwise create a cross-section?

Thank you kindly for any advice!

You don't mention which render engine you're using. If it's Iray, you could look into section planes. Never used them myself, but I know they exist.

Other than that, you can activate the Geometry Editor tool, select all the polygons that make up the wall, and either hide them or delete them.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

You could use an "Iray Selection Plane" node.It does what you want.It's a square plane that makes things on one side of the plane invisible.

Create>"New Iray Selection Plane Node"

Once you have the plane in the scene you can fiddle with it's transitions to get it positioned to fit your needs.

Very easy to work with.You will need to use the Iray preview mode to see the results before rendering.

The planes's size, color and opacity can be adjusted to make it easier to see in the parameters pane.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041

Geometry editor, select faces and right click hide them

• PVGamesPVGames Posts: 68

I do use Iray, and the Iray Selection Plane might be what I am looking for, I will give that a whirl! Thank you!

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

Sorry for the typo in my post.

The actual name is "Iray Section Plane"

Not "Selection Pane" as I posted.

• CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206

If the area can be highlighted with the shader tool then use opacity shader set it to 0.1 the higher the number the less opacity it will have and will materialise harder in the scene.

• CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206
    edited July 2021

Sorry didn't mean to comment twice but moderators feel the need to hold up my posts and i accidently pressed send twice,, their bad not mine!

Post edited by Cenobite on