Ability to categorize / filter Actors by their base model

HellbenderHellbender Posts: 16
edited December 1969 in Product Suggestions

To have the ability to filter all Actors by their base models (Genesis, Genesis 2, M4, V4, ... ) would be great.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't find a way to categorize Actors in the SmartContent tab Products or Files to quickly see, ok this is Genesis 2 based Actor, this is a M4 based model and so on.

Cheers,
Michael K.

Comments

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

mkaestne said:
    To have the ability to filter all Actors by their base models (Genesis, Genesis 2, M4, V4, ... ) would be great.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't find a way to categorize Actors in the SmartContent tab Products or Files to quickly see, ok this is Genesis 2 based Actor, this is a M4 based model and so on.

Cheers,
    Michael K.

Should be possible to filter by the compatibility base...which includes things like genesis. This normally gets set when saving items. Just not sure how you would do it. Maybe a script? Search for items where compatibility base is..... not sure how to write scripts myself. Someone like Adam or Richard would know...

• HellbenderHellbender Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

Thank you Pendraia for your answer!

The main reason why I was posting this request was make a suggestion so that this feature will maybe part of one of the next DAZ 3D Studio updates so that it will be implemented as a fixed part.

But if there is a workaround which can aid this in the meantime I surely would very much appreciate this too.
    So thanks again for your hint.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

mkaestne said:
    Thank you Pendraia for your answer!

The main reason why I was posting this request was make a suggestion so that this feature will maybe part of one of the next DAZ 3D Studio updates so that it will be implemented as a fixed part.

But if there is a workaround which can aid this in the meantime I surely would very much appreciate this too.
    So thanks again for your hint.

not sure if it will work but don't see why they couldn't use that field as a filter...it's already there and I presume that is how smart content does it. To be sure you would need to talk to someone who is able to write scripts for ds.

There is a thread for ds 5 suggestions you might want to post there as well.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158
    edited December 1969

I just add a category to each actor for Gen6, Gen 5, Gen 4, etc. Of course you can name your categories anything you want to. Just right click on the actor icon and select categorize.... Navigate the tree to the place where you want to add a category and right click and add a subcategory. Give it a name and click the box to put the check mark there. Now you have a category to select by in the Smart Content. Of course you have to manually add you categories to each actor, so it is less elegant than a script that could sort on existing data.

• HellbenderHellbender Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

Thanks to both of you. You pointed me the right way to solve it. As barbult wrote I used the "create new subcategory" option to create the needed categories in the "Content Library" tab on the same level as the "Default" category. Then I added all Actors to their corresponding new category.
    This also shows up all the new categories in the "Smart Content" Tab "Files" and "Products" right below the "Default" folder.

Ok, it is a little work to add all Actors manually to the new categories depending on how many you have, but I think it is worth it.

Thanks again!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158
    edited December 1969

I'm glad that helped. I'm a big fan of metadata and Smart Content. :-)