Face transfer question

CrystalwizardCrystalwizard Posts: 102

I have an existing character - gorilla for Gen 8 males - in a scene. i would really like to use face transfer to put a friend's face on the gorilla. I want to use this character because it's got all the hair in place - rather than just using the Gorilla morph

Is this possible?

Post edited by Crystalwizard on

Comments

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,255

Crystalwizard said:

I have an existing character - gorilla for Gen 8 males - in a scene. i would really like to use face transfer to put a friend's face on the gorilla. I want to use this character because it's got all the hair in place - rather than just using the Gorilla morph

Is this possible?

After making a texture image of your friend's face [Face Transfer saves it when you save the scene subset it makes], then use it instead of the Gorilla's face/lips/ear/eye socket face image. Then apply the fur and carry on. 

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,820
    edited July 2021
    I just started using face transfer. Pretty cool!
    THANOS ICLONE (4).png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by wolf359 on
  • CrystalwizardCrystalwizard Posts: 102
    edited July 2021

After making a texture image of your friend's face [Face Transfer saves it when you save the scene subset it makes], then use it instead of the Gorilla's face/lips/ear/eye socket face image. Then apply the fur and carry on. 

okay - next stupid question - how?

I can load the gorilla, i can generate the face on it, but it makes the gorilla's head small and human while leaving the body big and morphed into the gorilla - just puts the G8 male head on the gorilla's body - instead of just putting the face on the gorilla

However, even after saving the face i can't find a way to apply just the face to the gorilla.

Post edited by Crystalwizard on

wolf359 said:

I just started using face transfer. Pretty cool!

Kool! I like that too :-)

edited July 2021

Crystalwizard said:

okay - next stupid question - how?

I can load the gorilla, i can generate the face on it, but it makes the gorilla's head small and human while leaving the body big and morphed into the gorilla - just puts the G8 male head on the gorilla's body - instead of just putting the face on the gorilla

However, even after saving the face i can't find a way to apply just the face to the gorilla.

Egaads. No that's not going to work.

If just wanting the texture applied to the gorilla: Load Genesis 8 Male. Run Face Transfer. Save the Scene. Browse to the textures folder to find where all the new textures were saved to.

Clear the scene. Load in G8M, apply the new textures to it ... dial in as much of the Gorilla Shape as looks good to have. Pose figure. Set up lights. Apply whichever fur type you're using.

Render image.

If you load the new Face Transfer scene that has your friend's face morphed to G8M ... you'll have to select the desired textures esp. for the eyes. I just apply the eyes from any other character, it'll work. Won't save, but it'll work for a render. If you can find the Gorilla morph over on the Parameters Tab, then you can dial it in, pose the figure, set up the lights, apply whichever fur type you're using, render image.

For many uses: After saving the Face Transfer subscene, [its on G8M], set G8M to base resolution, REMOVE the eyelashes, shoot it over the bridge to Hexagon. This is easy. Just send it there over the bridge. Back in D/S, clear the scene and load in a fresh G8M. Remove the eyelashes and set the resolution to base. G8M is selected. Over in Hexagon select that G8M morphed figure and shoot it back over the bridge to D/S. A popup will appear and you name the morph [has to be a unique name], Yes to the various controls. Yes to "reverse deformations."  And hopefully after you hit Accept, it will be successfully made into a morph over on the Parameters Tab to the place you chose. I leave them under Morphs until I see if they are keepers or not, I like to be able to find them ;-)

So dial it in, and if you like it enough to keep it, then dial it to zero and save it. File > Save As > Support Assets > Morph assets ... just select ONLY the one new morph you just made.

Clear the scene, load in either the Gorilla or G8M, find your new morph, dial in some, load the new textures [or at least the face], etc. as mentioned above.

If you want more details than this all, I would suggest reading my tutorial which is in my account at sharecg.com.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
    edited July 2021

Okay ... digging through the Content folders I found this Gorilla 8 so did some experimenting.

Have no idea how this works on everyone else's computer, but I managed to find quite a few ways to crash the program trying to load and/or render this beasty.

Finally figured out how it goes ... one does not load the figure first, then the hair. Those hair loads apparently include the entire figure ... and my computer system is just a gaming laptop, they don't have oodles of VRAM {apparently}.

With the Face Transfer figure, in trying to apply gorilla fur, the program crashed. Some things will only load when certain other items are selected. So, tried again but not with the Face Transfer figure ... I made a morph of it via Hexagon, so I could load it on any figure of G8M. If one does not make the morph loose, the one that is in the subset scene will not display for loading to G8M.

Since all attempts to adjust G8M were ending with crashes, went the other route, loading the Gorilla first. {by the way it renders in 3Delight just fine}. It loads with DForce/Iray ... and that crashes the program. {it shouldn't but it does, could be that VRAM, could be that cloud, who knows, I can't read that chicken scratch of a log report, something about access violations} ... so after loading the Gorilla8, I removed the DForce fur and tried to load the Catalyst one. That did not happen, another crash. Okay. So what the hay, about to throw in the towel but I tried loading the catalyst fur [without loading any Gorilla first] and the fur presets load the full figure! {no wonder my poor little laptop having fits with it}.

So, I loaded the catalyst Gorilla8 fur, posed the Gorilla, added a mesh light, used the catalyst converter to render the image. It worked!

So then I dialed in some of the face shape that Face Transfer had made, and applied the textures it had created for the face.

As the Gorilla's face modelling is done so well, dialing in a face doesn't do very much [watch the eyes though] ... I didn't notice a morph split head/body for the Gorilla ... but if one is wanting a person's head on a Gorilla body technically it should be possible. There are a few video tutorials on how to over on YouTube.

How are you doing?

loading Catalyst Gorilla.png
    1000 x 1000 - 708K
    With a Face Morph Applied.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206
    edited July 2021

Crystalwizard said:

Is this possible?

LOL good question, i also have a question about face transfer i have tried to take a picture of several parts of Darth Vaders mask & helmet to transfer shapes to the editor but it won't work via face transfer is there anyway to do that take a picture of say someone with a mask on then transfer it onto a generation like you would a face.

I have all the face morphs for human faces i figured i may need different morphs for it too work for something like helmets with masks.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Use an image editor to put the helmet on the appropriate templates. Make the morphs in a modeler [i.e. Blender or something].

• CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206

Image editor like photoshop or substance painter, none of which i have, only got the basic paintshop on windows 10, can anyone do something with these lol.

IMG_0613.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 3M
    IMG_0628.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,915

Cenobite said:

Image editor like photoshop or substance painter, none of which i have, only got the basic paintshop on windows 10, can anyone do something with these lol.

If your system has enough resources you can download Blender and use all you want for free. It's 100 times better than what comes with Windows. IF you can spare $90 a year at some point you can get Mudbox which is a really good and more user friendly than most other apps. I've used it a lot for a period of time but since I have Substance Painter I don't use it anymore unless there is a tool that works better and faster then I'll go back to it. Sadly Substance is pretty expensive but it is pretty much the best for this kind of work and extremely powerful..

Paint on W10 - I use it to add text to images since SnagIt revamped their program into something I can't work with.

G.I.M.P. is free. It works with layers and that's the main thing one needs to be able to do. Have the template as the base [hide it before saving out the new image] ... and "always" work on copies of any real textures [i.e. Genesis' skins].

And thank you no, the nice lawyers hoovering over Star Wars items don't care for fanart so not touching those helmets myself.