July, 2021 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Portrait Rendering and LIE

Comments

• aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 703
    edited July 2021

Still toying around with my first entry, but here's my 2nd entry for the intermediate challenge. Feedback appreciated!

Title: Sorceress

Sorceress3.png
    1667 x 2000 - 5M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • vamokvamok Posts: 238

perlk said:

I think I'm done with this mess. I just about threw a shoe at my computer and screamed, "Damn you, wood texture!!!!" and then finally said screw it and used a wet wood shader with a geoshell on top. BTW, the geoshell worked better for the bench than LIE did. I feel like LIE wasn't as easy to use for wet skin as it was using the geoshell on the bench. I had to really mess and mess to get the LIE water to show up (whereas the tattoo looked fine).

Not unhappy with the results, though! Worth the hours and hours of render time. No post work except to add the signature at the bottom.

This came together very nicely. The wood looks great, as does your soaked lady. 

aprilshowers2065 said:

Still toying around with my first entry, but here's my 2nd entry for the intermediate challenge. Feedback appreciated!

Well, isn't she spooky!

First, things I like:

The way the light is playing of the ribbon in her hair is really cool. The marking you placed on her skin and her glowing eye fit the scene very nicely. Artistically posed nudity fuels the "primal" and ritualistic nature of her activity.

This is a crazy voodoo/dark magic vibe going on here but there are three things that are distracting to my eye (purely opinion).  The first thing is the mustard coloring of her skin. Was that intentional, or is it a byproduct of the lighting? The other is the angle of her left arm from the shoulder joint. That seems a little extreme, but maybe that sort of thing is necessary for the wicked incantation she is channeling. Lastly, the left hand is in a "stop" position, or possibly a "hey" position. It seems a little bland compared to the rest of her posture. Maybe mix in a little finger spread, or put a couple of fingers closer together. Curl a finger or two. I would suggest a little variation from the "normal" you currently have.

I look forward to seeing this develop.

Sorry for the awful grammar and spelling issues it is currently 2:30 a.m....I am going back to bed now.

• perlkperlk Posts: 847

vamok said:

perlk said:

I think I'm done with this mess. I just about threw a shoe at my computer and screamed, "Damn you, wood texture!!!!" and then finally said screw it and used a wet wood shader with a geoshell on top. BTW, the geoshell worked better for the bench than LIE did. I feel like LIE wasn't as easy to use for wet skin as it was using the geoshell on the bench. I had to really mess and mess to get the LIE water to show up (whereas the tattoo looked fine).

Not unhappy with the results, though! Worth the hours and hours of render time. No post work except to add the signature at the bottom.

This came together very nicely. The wood looks great, as does your soaked lady. 

Thanks, vamok!

aprilshowers2065 said:

What did you do to make the hair so sparkly? I really love it and want to replicate that!!!

• Alewis478Alewis478 Posts: 78

Beginner Entry

Portrait Rendering

"Surfs up!"

I think getting shadows on water to look natural might be beyond my skills.

Surfer.jpg
    1920 x 1920 - 311K
  • TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

Alewis478 said:

Welcome to New Users if haven't entered before.  Looks good.  (No probs with posing or anything.)

If you like, I might be able to help with water settings.  A very experienced user at DAZ named "Szark" helped me with how it reflects/distorts.

Best wishes whatever you decide.

• I should have been trying to sleeping to be rested for work today when I was hit with this idea for a second render to work on.

Here's the start of that idea.

july2021-2a.png
    553 x 896 - 824K

Shinji Ikari 9th said:

I should have been trying to sleeping to be rested for work today when I was hit with this idea for a second render to work on.

Ha, he's a cool-looking dude!

Shinji Ikari 9th said:

I should have been trying to sleeping to be rested for work today when I was hit with this idea for a second render to work on.

That's super cool.

• aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 703
    edited July 2021

Thanks @vamok! The 'mustardy' colouring is a side-effect of the lighting; I've increased the temperature on it a bit to try to fix. I've also adjusted the pose on her left hand as well, to make it more interesting. I've kept the angle of her arm the same since I kinda like the look that she's still performing her incantation while looking behind her. And yes, make sure to get enough sleep!

@perlk That's actually one of the options that come with the hair, but it's created by the diffuse overlay and top coat. So basically, to replicate, turn on the Top Coat and Diffuse Overlay, set the Top Coat to your desired colour, then set the Diffuse Overlay Colour to a lighter shade of the same colour and you get the sparkly effect laugh

Sorceress4.png
    1667 x 2000 - 4M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • ShackShack Posts: 22

Title: Contemplating the Future

Software: Daz Studio 4.15

Challenge: Intermediate Challenge - L.I.E.

This one evolved on its own. I used LIE to add the chest and arm tattoos and the emblem on the artificial leg. (Before adding the artificial leg, I also had a tattoo on his leg, but I like this version better.)

Question: Is there some way to add leg hair only to his left leg? I tried the geometry editor but that deleted hair from both legs.

Suggestions, recommendations, and comments are always welcome. Thank you.

Contemplating the Future.png
    1224 x 1224 - 2M
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

katywhite said:

Second Entry

Title: Pounce's Guided Tour

Caption: ...and out here on the balcony, you can see the whole world...!

Software: Daz 3D

Challenge: Beginner

Feedback appreciated =)

This is an adorable image.  I love the interaction between Pounce and his little guest.  The lighting is really well done.  You have some nice shadows.  

I do find the rainbow colour on Pounce's shirt a bit of a distraction.  It is so bright it draws my eye away from his face.  The blue on his hat helps to draw my eye up to his face.  Perhaps turning down the glossiness on the shirt will help.  It has a shininess to it that I think is drawing my eye to it.

Really cute image.  Love it.

Tynkere said:

Kismet2012 said:

1.  Which model are you using? I am guessing the purple is makeup.  There might be a "natural" or no makeup option.

2.  The 8.1 characters have a "tear" preset.  I believe this is designed to make the eyes look moist which could be causing the reflections.  I think this can be turned off.  Reducing the glossiness of the cornea might also help.

3.  Adjusting the glossiness on the teeth may help.

4.  When I google images of fingernails some are rather pink and others have a paler hue.  This may be an area that falls into personal preference.

I'm using V8 with a bunch of face & body morphs.  Easier way to adjust inner eyelid?  Your suggestion about makeup seems right on the money.  Example is quick .png file made by drawing bright blue over face texture.  Since the eyes are closed, tweaking that one is going to be hard.  Is there another texture file I should look at? 

As for the eyes...  If light sometimes glances off schlera, try cornea anyway?  Sorry if I sound brain-dead.  I appreciate your being patient with me.   

The eye is made up of 3 different surfaces:  Iris, Cornea and Sclera.  On the Cornea Glossy Reflectivity is at the default setting of 1.0.  I turn that off, down to zero, but I did not see a difference in the shininess of the eye surface when I rendered.  

If you haven't tried it already you could try the Noise Degrain Filtering and/or Post Denoiser in the Filtering tab.

I do not know which other figures you may own so I applied Genesis 8.0 skin maps to Victoria 8.  I am attaching renders of the results.  I do not see the purple colour on the eyelids so this may be an option?

There are various morphs for the eyes, which I am guessing you have tried already.  Have you looked in the Pose settings under the Parameters Tab?  There are options for the lower eyelid in there as well that might help with the issue you are having with the lower eyelid.

I hope something here helps.

Filtering Screenshot.png
    1920 x 1040 - 162K
    Victoria 8 with Genesis 8 Iray skin map eyes open.png
    927 x 1500 - 2M
    Victoria 8 with Genesis 8 Iray skin map eyes closed.png
    927 x 1500 - 2M
    Victoria 8 Cornea Glossy Reflectivity at default of 1.0.png
    927 x 741 - 1M
    Victoria 8 Cornea Glossy Reflectivity turned to zero.png
    927 x 741 - 1M

Shack said:

Title: You Forgot Something

This is the first time I tried using the Layered Image Editor. It is interesting but very slow and limited in its capabilities. I used it to add six tattoos (the Ryker figure includes the full sleeve tattoo).

Suggestions, recommendations, and comments are always welcome.

L.I.E. can be slow. 

The tattoos look great.  My only quibble, and it is a small one, is with the centre tattoo on the upper and lower abdomen.  It might be his posing but it doesn't look quite centered to me.  I realize if it was moved a bit to our right, the figure's left, it would overlap Poseiden'sTrident which might require a slight abjustment to his placement.

The rest of the tattoos look well placed and match the sleeve tattoo that comes with the figure.

Tynkere said:

If Kismet was nice enough to allow me a brief return I guess I should enter.

Here it is before I chicken out.

Also want to compliment everyone on their entries.  Fun to see everyones imagination at work!  yes

Title: Photo Fun
    Software: DS 4.10
    Challenge: Intermediate L.I.E.

I am glad it appears to be summer.  Not sure I would want to light a fire in that woodstove.

Is the LIE the decal added to her shirt?  Looks good.

perlk said:

Lesson #1054:  Not every tool is appropriate for every applicaiton.

Everything has it's limitations.  I cannot tell you the number of times I have fought with something only to change course.  All the fighting was worth it. 

sueya said:

I have added eyebrows to Ryker

When I first started using the Generation 8 figures I kept forgetting to add the eye lashes to my OC.  I knew something about her didn't look right and it took me a few renders to figure out what was missing.

aprilshowers2065 said:

I like all the splashes of colour on her skin.  The red on her back really stands out.

Some soft rim lighting, perhaps by reflecting some of the light, will help her stand out from the background.

There also appears to be edges of planes showing.  I have circled a couple of the areas where they are showing.

Sorceress Artifacts.png
    1667 x 2000 - 5M

Alewis478 said:

Beginner Entry

Portrait Rendering

"Surfs up!"

Water is a challenging element.

Since I have never surfed in my life I Googled images of surfing waves.  I am not sure if the shadow is the problem.  I think you water needs a bit more reflection.  This will increase render times however.

This is the closest real life image I could find that is similar to the one you created. 

If the image was tightened on the lead surfer it would close to yours. 

Surfer.png
    292 x 275 - 188K

Shinji Ikari 9th said:

Sleep is overrated...except when you don't get any and need to work the next day.

I like the start.  Some DOF might help put the focus on your figure.

Shack said:

Title: Contemplating the Future

This one evolved on its own. I used LIE to add the chest and arm tattoos and the emblem on the artificial leg. (Before adding the artificial leg, I also had a tattoo on his leg, but I like this version better.)

Question: Is there some way to add leg hair only to his left leg? I tried the geometry editor but that deleted hair from both legs.

Suggestions, recommendations, and comments are always welcome. Thank you.

Is the leg hair a separate item?  If it is and has a hierarchy you should be able to "hide" the hair on the leg you do not want visible.

The Geometery Editor can be tricky. 

Apply the leg hair to the character. 

Open the Geometry Editor

Right click and choose Selection Type - Polygon Selection

Right click again and then choose Selection Mode - Lasso Selection

Now you can "Lasso" the hairs you want to remove.  Make sure you place the figure so you are only selecting the hairs on the leg you wish to remove without overlapping and selecting the hairs on the othe leg.

Once selected the hairs will be highlighted.  Right click and choose Geometry Visibility - Hide Selected Polygons.  I use this to make sure I have the correct items selected.  If you want to delete the polygons you can do so afterwards.

Repeat as necessary until all the hairs have been hidden.  If you want to delete them entirely you can right click, choose Geometry Editing - Delete Hidden Polygon(s)

Leg Hair.png
    1920 x 1040 - 557K
    Geometry Editor Example.png
    1920 x 1040 - 609K
  • ShackShack Posts: 22

Title: You Forgot Something

I can see where the image could be perceived as having nudity in one of the tattoos. I have covered what I think was the offending area.

This is the first time I have tried using the Layered Image Editor. It is interesting but very slow and limited in its capabilities. I used it to add six tattoos (the Ryker figure includes the full sleeve tattoo).

Suggestions, recommendations, and comments are always welcome.

You Forgot Something 2.png
    1100 x 1200 - 2M
  • katywhitekatywhite Posts: 415
    edited July 2021

katywhite said:

Title: The Shadow

Still toying around with this, here's a couple of versions already. Would appreciate some feedback at this point though since I'm still experimenting. :)

I very appreciate so much feedback the first time round.

Here are two more versions based on feedback I received. Still toying around since not 100% happy with it but I feel like I could benefit with showing the progress.

First new version here kept the first red lighting but with a more depth of field added. The second new version here tried to put her more in the shadows with more like the second set of lighting from before (had to change a bit to make it a bit darker though). On both tried to add emissive to her blade.

Portrait Deeper Depth of Field.png
    2000 x 2000 - 7M
    Portrait Entry Alternate Posing.png
    2000 x 2000 - 7M
    Post edited by katywhite on
  • Aki3dAki3d Posts: 142
    edited July 2021

Intermediate challenge

DS 4.14

Desperation

mia finale .jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 579K
    Post edited by Aki3d on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,250
    edited July 2021

katywhite said:

katywhite said:

Title: The Shadow

Still toying around with this, here's a couple of versions already. Would appreciate some feedback at this point though since I'm still experimenting. :)

I very appreciate so much feedback the first time round.

Now if you face the door and have someone walking through door with a shocked face like he is being attack. Just my opinion. Just Like I said before it's up to you as the artist when it's good enough for you.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
    edited July 2021

Error:

DAZ or Clod-Fare?

Can mod or admin delete duplicates?   I apologize for the inconvenience.

Stupidity.png
    875 x 887 - 52K
    Post edited by Tynkere on
    edited July 2021

Kismet2012 said:

I do not know which other figures you may own so I applied Genesis 8.0 skin maps to Victoria 8.  I am attaching renders of the results.  I do not see the purple colour on the eyelids so this may be an option?

I hope something here helps.

Thanks for taking the time to do those renders.  I tried using face texture from 'no makup' V8, lasso lower eyelids, tweak 'selective color' in PS and save as .png file.  

Entry 2... I put a L.I.E. slogan on shirt as suggested.  V8 face is also using L.I.E. for lips, blush, and the lower eyelids.

For the campfire, I'm using an emmisive sphere to rule out if grain on some eye highlights is result of too many emissive lights.  Since it's between the campfire and model, I hid the sphere with a cutout opacity of 0.00010

BTW, decided to nix the first entry because corners of her mouth looked odd.  I have trouble getting convincing facial expressions on V8.

Comments & room for inprovement on both are welcome.  I've been away from 3D since pandemic -- 2 years is long time out of practice!  Need all the help I can get.  

Title: "Pensive"
    Contest L.I.E.
    App: DS 4.10

PS:  What is preferred size for attachments?

DAZEntry2-V1.png
    1080 x 810 - 751K
    Post edited by Tynkere on
    edited July 2021

Tynkere said:

Error:

DAZ or Clod-Fare?

Can mod or admin delete duplicates?   I apologize for the inconvenience.

I get this all the time. As soon as I get it, I just ignore it and know it posted since I had 2-3 duplicate posts quite a lot :-)

Edit to say: I just got it posting a comment, actually. It happens only when I reply with "QUOTE button.

Post edited by perlk on

Thanks.  Glad to know problem not on my end.

Nice project BTW.  You seem to have put a lot of work into it & glad you solved bench problem.  Hope that puts you over the top! yes