Hair issues

Hi, 

I recently purchased this Ethel hair for Gen 8 and 8.1 and when I try the hair out I get this ugly shadow on the subject's face. I don't see this with earlier hair styles and why now? How do I get rid of that shadow. I like the hair style but just can't have that shadow distracting from the image. 

any thoughts or suggestions. I tried moving it away from the head but it only goes so far and the shadow is always there

ABC Ehel hair test 1.png
935 x 820 - 1M

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

If the strand doesn't have movement morphs or they are not enough you will have to use a deformer (or export to a modeller to create a new morph).

• PhatmartinoPhatmartino Posts: 287
    edited July 2021

@sliders49 I happened to have grabbed that hair as well... If you have the Bangs1 bone selected and set Front-Back to around 6 and Side-Side around 8, you can move that "Bang" in and over enough so that it doesn't create that hard shadow of just that bang (with what looks like lighting coming from 30 degrees or less from the right of the Figure) in the middle of the cheek like that...

Otherwise, info on what's going on with the lighting in your scene could help. Is that a backdrop the figure is standing in front of? If not, is the light coming from the window on the left HDRI lighting, and the light source on the figure from the right is Scene Lighting (Spot, Distant, Emmissive Primitive)?

Basically the angle from which the light is coming from the right, is what's casting that completely realistic shadow on her face, but could be tweaked as far as softness of the shadow..

If it's a Spotlight, by changing the Spotlight's Parameters, like Light Geometry > Rectangle and possibly increasing the Width and Height to something higher than their Defaults of 10.

Or, if it were an Emissive Primitive, increasing the Scale of the (Sphere?) while decreasing it's Luminance accordingly.

If the light coming from the right is HDRI or Distant Light, then I don't know if the softness can be tweaked. You could try to adjust the Dome or Distant Light Rotation at least a little to move the Shadow closer to the right side of the face if it were to also maintain an overall look that was acceptable.

Mention any details you can about your lighting setup if none of the above applies or helps and there's a lot of brains that peruse these forums that might have better suggestions. :)

Post edited by Phatmartino on
  • sliders49sliders49 Posts: 87

Here is a screen shot and will you look at the light settings and can you tell me what I need to do. 

I also attached another render showing the shadow. 

thanks

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 7.32.29 AM.jpeg
    1697 x 946 - 388K
    ABC ethel test 2.png
    935 x 820 - 1M
  • PhatmartinoPhatmartino Posts: 287
    edited July 2021

Here's a few more questions and possibly solutions...

Before tackling the Bang / Shadow problem, here's something you might consider when using this hair, or any hair where this is an issue... Currently Iray has some problem with SSS Surface Settings when it comes to Hair products, at least. If you Select the Hair in the Scene Tab, then go to the Surfaces Tab, and select everything except the Cap, scroll down to find SSS Amount, like this:

Change the SSS Amount value to 0.00. See how the crazy glowing "dots" disappear, like this:

Next, in order to understand what Lighting is affecting the Bang/Shadow problem, can you go to your Render Settings Tab, select Environment and screen shot your current settings to help determine how much that is playing into the problem compared to any other lighting in the Scene, like this:

In all of my screen shots so far, you can see the Shadow problem on the cheek. I have just the stock HDRI set to Dome Rotation of 30 degrees to roughly recreate the problem you're having with the lighting coming from that direction... Here's a few tweaks to that Bangs1 bone of the Ethel Hair you can try in order to correct the problem without changing the lighting... Take a look at what's selected in these screen shots and the Values that are changed in the Parameters Tab:

EthelBangs01.PNG
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    EthelBangs02.PNG
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    EthelBangs03.PNG
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    EthelBangs04.PNG
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    EthelBangs05.PNG
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Phatmartino on
  • CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206

Yeah all comes down to how you situate the light in the scene to remove that shadow, you could use point lights and not angle lights that would create a shadow cast on the face. it looks like you have your light in the top right hand corner angled down to give that shadow over the bangs. If you have used a spot light or the model isn't standing directly in front of the light source you will get shadows cast that can't be removed by other light sources.

You can also use other tools like the Activepose tool above the top of your viewport, looks like a little bone icon, select that and you can click any part of the mesh like hair ends to drag it round to where you want, it's easier to pose like this with gen 8 & 3 because the figure is stable and doesn't move all over the place like a M4 or V4 would when posing. V4 & M4 are the worst too set for poses because you move one thing you have to lock everything thing else or it all goes rubber haywire and moves the whole pose.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Why did you scale her 400+%?

• sliders49sliders49 Posts: 87

I appreciate all your comments and words of wisdom to fix the problem. I just can't wrap my head around why they make and sell products that create the challenges. I mean WHY? Other hair does not have this issue and it just seem overly complicated and slows down one's process. 

But I defer. 

thanks again.