Headshop 13 + Lovechild for G8 - eyes mis-shapen

hello, i bought HS13 in the hope that i'd have better luck with it than i did with HS OneClick. I'd like to get this working if possible, as it might work with photos that FaceGen and Face Transfer have issues with - angled heads, open mouths etc.

this post was originally going to be about the eyelashes not adjusting to the morph, but i've just discovered that if i quit/restart DS then it solves itself...

...however, the eyes are noticably mis-shaped, with the irises being stretched taller/narrower and canted inwards at the top.

unlike the eyelashes, they are still like this even after a quit-restart-reload. pic on request.

is there any fix for this, or a way of replacing the eyes with a vanilla pair? i haven't yet googled anything useful.

(fwiw - i read that Abalone's support is conducted via Skype, and i'm mostly deaf so that's not going to be much good to me unfortunately.)

Comments

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,255
    edited June 2021

clivewil2 said:

hello, i bought HS13 in the hope that i'd have better luck with it than i did with HS OneClick. I'd like to get this working if possible, as it might work with photos that FaceGen and Face Transfer have issues with - angled heads, open mouths etc.

this post was originally going to be about the eyelashes not adjusting to the morph, but i've just discovered that if i quit/restart DS then it solves itself...

...however, the eyes are noticably mis-shaped, with the irises being stretched taller/narrower and canted inwards at the top.

unlike the eyelashes, they are still like this even after a quit-restart-reload. pic on request.

is there any fix for this, or a way of replacing the eyes with a vanilla pair? i haven't yet googled anything useful.

(fwiw - i read that Abalone's support is conducted via Skype, and i'm mostly deaf so that's not going to be much good to me unfortunately.)

Unfortunately I don't do Skype either and have been waiting for a reply to a reply on a PM for several days now, the email address I had apparently is from a domain which is down so maybe when he sees this he'll let us know his working email.  Contact has been made! :-)

I'm on W10 - Headshop 13 - have not had it noticably misshaping the eyes. However have found it best to just let the program put the dots where it wants to and leave them alone. Then I'll use of the other morph options to further enhance the character's face morph. [i.e. for the nose]

With regards to the eyelashes, after loading the figure into the scene I delete the eyelashes from the scene and set the figure to base resolution. After Headshop has done its thing and returned the morph to the figure, then I'll reapply the eyelashes and reset the resolution. On the Parameters Tab for the face morph, check that "auto-follow" is checked. Zero any morphs before saving them.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • clivewil2clivewil2 Posts: 129
    edited June 2021

Catherine3678ab said:

With regards to the eyelashes, after loading the figure into the scene I delete the eyelashes from the scene and set the figure to base resolution. After Headshop has done its thing and returned the morph to the figure, then I'll reapply the eyelashes and reset the resolution. On the Parameters Tab for the face morph, check that "auto-follow" is checked. Zero any morphs before saving them.

oh ok, i've just been setting the morph to auto follow, parent the eyelashes, then save the scene and reload it. that has worked for me so far.

attached (i hope) a pic showing the squished eyes. eyelashes are ok now as you can see.

HS13_EyeSquish.jpg
    1009 x 574 - 234K
    Post edited by clivewil2 on

Yes I see the image. You're quite right, the eyes are goofy. I haven't tried this method yet with the eyes but did for another morph and it worked well. Concept is to remove the morph from the eyes (and surrounding area IF necessary).

• clivewil2clivewil2 Posts: 129
    edited June 2021

Catherine3678ab said:

Yes I see the image. You're quite right, the eyes are goofy. I haven't tried this method yet with the eyes but did for another morph and it worked well.

hmm i wouldn't like my chances of accurately selecting every eye vertex without missing any, or accidentally selecting any non-eye verts, but in itself that video was hugely interesting and i bet i use that method elsewhere, so thanks for posting that.

i did try one trick i used successfully when doing a Mesh Grabber morph on eyelids, which was to move the eyes back out of range, do the morph, and then move them forward again. it didn't work and i didn't really expect it to, but it was worth a shot.

i might try importing new non-distorted eyes from 3ds max and seeing how seamlessly i can replace the pear-shaped ones - i figure if i parent the imports to the original hidden eyes, i'll retain control over movement etc. but i don't know what unwanted transforms and distortions will be passed down the hierarchy chain to the imports. hopefully they will only inherit their scale and rotation and nothing else.

----> yeah ok, that didn't work. the imported eyes work as expected but the original morphed eyes are going off centre, i.e. the verts are moving outward while the pivot stays in place (pic shows morphed eye on left, my imported eye on right)

FaceGen has a 'spherical eyes' option to counter exactly this problem, i'd love to see HeadShop include something similar one day...

HS13_Eye_Subst_Eye.jpg
    633 x 368 - 89K
    Post edited by clivewil2 on

clivewil2 said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Yes I see the image. You're quite right, the eyes are goofy. I haven't tried this method yet with the eyes but did for another morph and it worked well.

hmm i wouldn't like my chances of accurately selecting every eye vertex without missing any, or accidentally selecting any non-eye verts, but in itself that video was hugely interesting and i bet i use that method elsewhere, so thanks for posting that.

i did try one trick i used successfully when doing a Mesh Grabber morph on eyelids, which was to move the eyes back out of range, do the morph, and then move them forward again. it didn't work and i didn't really expect it to, but it was worth a shot.

i might try importing new non-distorted eyes from 3ds max and seeing how seamlessly i can replace the pear-shaped ones - i figure if i parent the imports to the original hidden eyes, i'll retain control over movement etc. but i don't know what unwanted transforms and distortions will be passed down the hierarchy chain to the imports. hopefully they will only inherit their scale and rotation and nothing else.

----> yeah ok, that didn't work. the imported eyes work as expected but the original morphed eyes are going off centre, i.e. the verts are moving outward while the pivot stays in place (pic shows morphed eye on left, my imported eye on right)

FaceGen has a 'spherical eyes' option to counter exactly this problem, i'd love to see HeadShop include something similar one day...

I use that feature in FaceGen all the time too.