Is animating broken ? Something ain't right....

I'm trying to do a very basic animation using a pre-made walking animation.  I want my character at some point during the walking animation to look up and it doesn't work at all.

In the attached screenshot I have assigned the walking animation twice so at frame 80 both animations are completed and my character stops.  During the animation Ive set a key frame at 8 and 41 for the lower neck to look up so this supposed to mean from frame 8 to 41 I should see the head moving looking up but it doesnt ! 

Why am I not able to make her head look up during or after the walk animation ?  Its like DAZ is completly ignoring the keyframes I am adding in the time line...

Animation.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 472K

Comments

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,545

Maybe this video can help, since it has head motions in it as well

• CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206

Animations run really slow even on high end pc's, your right but something isn't right, every animation i've bought is pointless in daz3d, better used in Unreal 4 engine moving the keyframe that works into that editor because it's just too heavy in any mode in daz3d except maybe filament where assets are a little lighter.

• Faeryl Womyn said:

Thanks for the link but no it didnt fix my issue.  The video does not talk about how to add keyframe to pre-made animations.  Which im starting to think that it is not possible.

• hansmolleman33hansmolleman33 Posts: 219
    edited June 2021

Cenobite said:

Animations run really slow even on high end pc's, your right but something isn't right, every animation i've bought is pointless in daz3d, better used in Unreal 4 engine moving the keyframe that works into that editor because it's just too heavy in any mode in daz3d except maybe filament where assets are a little lighter.

I bought a tutorial once in DAZ store and it was one of the worst purchase I ever done. Got my money back and still felt robbed !

Post edited by hansmolleman33 on
  • 31415926543141592654 Posts: 975

Without knowing how you set this up: did you have an aniblcok for the walking and did you burn it to the timeline? Did you try adding an overide aniblock layer to make the head move? Is this a genesis 8 character in which I think I recall the overide aniblocks do not actually effect the head? Which version of Daz Studio are you using (mostly to see if this is an older version with keymate)?

Animation within Daz Studio is tedious, but doable ... I know, I keep doing it.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,255

hansmolleman33 said:

Faeryl Womyn said:

Thanks for the link but no it didnt fix my issue.  The video does not talk about how to add keyframe to pre-made animations.  Which im starting to think that it is not possible.

No one tutorial or video is going to be entirely comprehensive ... look around the pane. You will find the little key symbol which you click to add a keyframe. The popup instructions are there as you hover your mouse over them too. Not impossible to find. You scrub to the desired place, pose the head, add a keyframe.

• Catherine3678ab said:

hansmolleman33 said:

Faeryl Womyn said:

No one tutorial or video is going to be entirely comprehensive ... look around the pane. You will find the little key symbol which you click to add a keyframe. The popup instructions are there as you hover your mouse over them too. Not impossible to find. You scrub to the desired place, pose the head, add a keyframe.

I did all this already, I know how to add keyframes.  The thing is I can add all the keyframes I want but as soon as I move the time line all those keyframes are gone.  Its like DAZ fails miserably with keyframes.

It should be a no brainer: I click add keyframe, the said keyframe stays !  But no, DAZ just sucks at animation, no wonder they made bridges to other softwares, pathetic !

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,255
    edited June 2021

hansmolleman33 said:

Catherine3678ab said:

hansmolleman33 said:

Faeryl Womyn said:

I did all this already, I know how to add keyframes.  The thing is I can add all the keyframes I want but as soon as I move the time line all those keyframes are gone.  Its like DAZ fails miserably with keyframes.

It should be a no brainer: I click add keyframe, the said keyframe stays !  But no, DAZ just sucks at animation, no wonder they made bridges to other softwares, pathetic !

You said the video did not show how to add a keyframe. So I mentioned how to add a keyframe. THEN you claim you know how to add a keyframe, great. Then why upset that the video didn't show you how? Daz Studio holds the keyframes I make so if it's not holding the keyframes you made then either there's a lock of somekind on the animation you made [which would be a puzzle as to how they managed that] or something's amiss with what you put the keyframe on perhaps? Did you expand the timeline to show precisely where all the keys are for EACH and every bone? The keyframe has to be tagged to the appropriate bone [selected at time keyframe is made]. For eg. if you have the leg selected and make a keyframe, it is the leg that has been tagged, not the head or neck bone.

The company does not suck at animation. The program Daz Studio doesn't either. Some people have made very nice animations using it and indeed it's animating abilities are part of its attraction to animators.

Here's another helpful video:

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,820

hansmolleman33 said:

I'm trying to do a very basic animation using a pre-made walking animation.  I want my character at some point during the walking animation to look up and it doesn't work at all.

In the attached screenshot I have assigned the walking animation twice so at frame 80 both animations are completed and my character stops.  During the animation Ive set a key frame at 8 and 41 for the lower neck to look up so this supposed to mean from frame 8 to 41 I should see the head moving looking up but it doesnt ! 

Why am I not able to make her head look up during or after the walk animation ?  Its like DAZ is completly ignoring the keyframes I am adding in the time line...

Learn the DS graph editor