Renders are 8x longer with 1080 ti on DAZ 4.15....?

Hey all, did the latest version of DAZ Studio implement an update that slows down GTX render times.  My renders are taking 8 hours instead of the normal 1.  

I already checked the log to make sure that the render was not reverting to the CPU.

I am using strand based dforcefringe hair from PhilW.  Could that be it?

My Rig is an AMD a10 7850K with 32GB DDR3 RAM and the gigabyte AORUS 1080 ti,  Usually with a dome I canrender a scene at 1080P in about an hour, and an hour and a half if there are lots of polygons.  Now it is taking 8 hours?

Any suggestions other than yoiu need an upgrade.

-DrDrk

Comments

• Also, I am using the very newest NVIDIA Driver 471.11

-DrDrk

• and Windows 7.

-DrDrk

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,882

Render one of your old scenes that you know rendered in an hour and see how it does. Every scene is different. It could be that hair that is causing the problem. Check your render settings to be sure you have the expected render termination criteria set and that it did not get set to some extremely high rendering quality or something.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,515
    Also check whether the render has dropped to CPU. DS4.15/IRay (not sure where the cause lies) has a habit of memory leakage in the GPU, meaning that IRay drops to CPU when it shouldn't. In my limited experience the number of occurrences seems to be reduced by only using IRay for the render style, and texture mapped for the normal working draw style while posing. It has to be mentioned that DS4.15 seems to require more VRAM for the same render than 4.12
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Some VRam (about 2GB) is gobbled up to emulate the RTX cores' function on GTX card

• Wait.  DAZ automatically assumes that you have RTX now?

-DrDrk

• RL_MediaRL_Media Posts: 339

It's the iray render engine, not DS specifically. Iray is built by nvidia, so they program it in a way that makes the newer topend cards a lot more attractive to use.

• Well that is just great considering there is also a scalper shortage that Nvidia allowed to happen.  Just wonderful.

-DrDrk

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

If you are not yet dropping to CPU but the renders are taking considerably longer, check you log, how much "Work Space" was allocated for the render. Normally 1.750 GiB is being allocated, but if VRAM is getting short, it will allocate a smaller amount and the less "Work Space" there is, the slower the rendering will be.