Resizing A Scene

Recently working on a 8:5 ratio scene, 4000 x 2500 pixels, and almost having completed it I realised it would work better as a 16:9, but then I hit a snag I recalled I'd had before when resizing: I wanted all assets in the scene to remain exactly where they were, meaning I didn't want the left and right parameters to change - I didn't want the scene width to change - I just wanted to lose a strip across the top of the image and a lesser strip off the bottom. But when resizing to a narrower image what happens is that the height of the image which I want reduced stays the same while the camera pans out changing the right and left parameters, albeit that it remains at 4000 pixels. This seems to me to be totally illogical; IE: the 2500 pixel height I change to 2250, but I don't lose anything off the top and/or bottom of the image, which one would expect, I gain extra space on the left and right, which I don't want. If the image loses height, which is what's required, the camera angle adjustment is minor, but when the height remains the same and unwanted width is gained it requires more adjustment. So is there a way of changing the ratio so the image loses height instead of gaining width? I've tried various ways to do this, but the result is always the same.

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,440

Changing the aspect ratio does not automatically change the camera's frame width or focal length. It's not the camera moving out, it is the viewport trying to fit the new, proportionately wider, aspect frame in the same space. Given that the camera settings will not change, the view will expand in whichever direction is needed to give the selected aspect ratio. You will need to adjust camera parameters (some combination of position, frame width, focal length) to get the scene back where you want it.

• Prince WaoPrince Wao Posts: 373

Thanks NorthOf45, but the question is is there a way of changing the ratio so the image in the camera view loses height instead of gaining width? You wrote "the view will expand in whichever direction is needed to give the selected aspect ratio", but it only ever expands in one direction. It's not an issue for me at the moment, but in future if I need to change the ratio from 8:5 (my most commonly used one) to 16:9 I'd rather it contract bottom and/or top, rather than expand right and left.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,886

Why don't you just crop the rendered 8:5 image in an image editor? 

barbult said:

Why don't you just crop the rendered 8:5 image in an image editor? 

Because the original image I wanted to render kept on crashing. To get a 2nd best image for what I wanted I had to delete all vehicles in the scene and reduce the number of characters from 19 to 13, totally change the camera view so that the top section of what I originally had was no longer in view, but that left too much vacant space, while the remaining 13 characters were grouped closer together. The only solution was to change the aspect ratio and that worked a treat - it's already rendered - though it's not as good as the original compostion which I still have saved as separate scene for futurre use when I get Daz set up on a better device.

• 31415926543141592654 Posts: 975

Because the original image I wanted to render kept on crashing. To get a 2nd best image for what I wanted I had to delete all  ...

This does not answer your original post, but in regards to making the image you want: can you separate it into layers and render them individually? I once did a classroom with 24 students on a laptop - I was able to separate each row of students (only 6 per row), the classroom, and props  and then relayer them in a program like photoshop. You have to be careful to match the lighting throughout, but it can be done.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,440

Add a camera to a blank scene and use the perspective view to look at the camera to be able to see the field of view (the rectagle with the diagonals). Go to the camera tab and set Local Dimensions ON. Change the aspect ratio by adjusting the width and height and watch the shape of the FoV. It only ever changes width, never the height. I imagine that's just how the code works.

NorthOf45 said:

Add a camera to a blank scene and use the perspective view to look at the camera to be able to see the field of view (the rectagle with the diagonals). Go to the camera tab and set Local Dimensions ON. Change the aspect ratio by adjusting the width and height and watch the shape of the FoV. It only ever changes width, never the height. I imagine that's just how the code works.

Thanks for that! I tried it and it works. Though I think you mean it changes the height, not the width, while the parallel controls in Render Settings do the oppoiste. I loaded an 8:5 ratio scene and changed it to 16:9 and it reduced the height while the width stayed stable, which is exactly what I wanted.

3141592654 said:

This does not answer your original post, but in regards to making the image you want: can you separate it into layers and render them individually? I once did a classroom with 24 students on a laptop - I was able to separate each row of students (only 6 per row), the classroom, and props  and then relayer them in a program like photoshop. You have to be careful to match the lighting throughout, but it can be done.

That's a brilliant idea! Thank you!