How Can I Rig This FootBridge?

How Can I Rig This FootBridge?

I want to make a “FootBridge System Kit” with “Junction Huts” and “Bridge Spans” shown in the picture.

I want the bridge spans to morph such they can be aimed up or down or left or right. But the bridges don’t bend. The bridge spans just translate their ends to meet the hut doorways, and the huts remain parallel to one another.

But I want to assemble a bridge system by parenting a bridge span to Hut “A” and then parenting Hut “B” to End “B” of the bridge span. Then as I translate the End “B” of the bridge span, Hut “B” will move with it.

I made a morph for the bridge span. But there’s no way to parent Hut “B” to End “B” that way.

Perhaps there’s a way to RIG the bridge span with each end a separate vertex group to make the ends into “bones” and permit parenting things to them. But so far, my experiments with this have failed.

So I seek advice.

FootBridge System Kit 02.jpg
1220 x 825 - 607K

Comments

•  Parenting B to a Rigid Follow Node on the end of A's bridge should work

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

Richard Haseltine said:

Parenting B to a Rigid Follow Node on the end of A's bridge should work

Thanks, Richard. That worked.

But it only worked with the one instance of the bridge model in my scene.

How do I get the rigid node to be a part of the bridge model in every instance of the bridge model loaded into my scene?

I tried saving my bridge model as a "figue/prop asset". But this failed to include the rigid node in the save.

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798

Maybe save the bridge and its associated node as a scene subset?

• Rigid Follow Nodes can also be saved to Wearables, if the base item is a figure.

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792
    edited June 2021

chris-2599934 said:

Maybe save the bridge and its associated node as a scene subset?

Thanks, Chris-2599934. Yes. I was suspecting that would be the case. It seems that saving as a scene subset is the ultimate catch-all for bundling assets together that can't be bundled together in any more elegant way.

So it looks like that's what I'll be doing.

Post edited by lukon100 on