Rendering in Half Width?

So, a common stereoscopic 3d format is that you'll have a video file that is 1920 by 1080 (for example) and then you'll have two strips of footage that are shrunk 50 percent horizontally and then in a suitable vr media player they are stretched back to full width so that the vr headset has two 1920 by 1080 videos displayed.

If I render out of iray full 1920 by 1080 footage only to shrink them by half in after effects, it's obvious I'm wasting quite a lot of rendered data, but what if I output out of DAZ half width footage? 50% less pixels means way faster renders. Is this possible?

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

You can set the dimensions in the render settings - general - aspect ratio

• DiasporaDiaspora Posts: 439

Hmm, I'm not sure I'm communicating what exactly I mean, yes I know I can set the dimensions right in the render settings, what I'm trying to do is actually have the output 'squished'

So, I'm trying to get DAZ Studio to natively output this

temp1.jpg
    960 x 1080 - 297K

While only setting my file to 960 by 1080 in render settings just yields me this 

temp2.jpg
    960 x 1080 - 367K

Again, I know I can just render 1920 by 1080 and then narrow it by 50% in after effects or photoshop and call it a day, but especially on a very large batch render, that would lead to a gigantic amount of wasted pixels/iray iterations/wattage/time/etc.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,198

I don't think there are any options for rendering in half size in one direction. That doesn't match with, that the render proces tries to simulate a camera.

You could render it in 1/4 size and then scale up the height in post processing.

edited June 2021

"You could render it in 1/4 size and then scale up the height in post processing."

Huh, that's an interesting idea. 

I'm gonna go ahead and experiment with that. 

Post edited by Diaspora on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,886
    edited June 2021
    Diaspora said:

"You could render it in 1/4 size and then scale up the height in post processing."

Huh, that's an interesting idea. 

I'm gonna go ahead and experiment with that. 

How is that easier the scaling down that you were doing? 1/4 size would render faster, but you my lose needed resolution.
    Post edited by barbult on