Considering this as my Daz (and game) box...need opinions

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/omen-30l-desktop-gt13-0380t-2h4a2av-1

I'm going to move off Mac to PC. If I'm doing that I want the best experience I can afford.  

Does anyone have an opinion about this build?  

Can someone recommend a more inexpensive build (that's available)?

Comments

• 16 GB with a 3090 GPU? That is woefully unbalanced, certainly for Iray use (DS has to build the data structure to be sent to the GPU in system RAM, if you expect to use the 24GB on the GPU then you need to have more than 24GB of system RAM).

• AabacusAabacus Posts: 403

Richard Haseltine said:

16 GB with a 3090 GPU? That is woefully unbalanced, certainly for Iray use (DS has to build the data structure to be sent to the GPU in system RAM, if you expect to use the 24GB on the GPU then you need to have more than 24GB of system RAM).

Agreed. I was thinking I'd have to get the 32G upgrade.  It's not that much more given the initial cost.

• I wasn't initially seeing any options, and even after enabling the HP site's scripts it's still a little consusing. The advice on memory is twice the GPU's video RAM, which would mean 48GB at least. Also, make sure you have enough storage to hnadle the content you have installed - ideally not on the actual boot drive, if only to redice the pain should you need to do a system reinstall (quoth the voice of experience).

• AabacusAabacus Posts: 403

Richard Haseltine said:

I wasn't initially seeing any options, and even after enabling the HP site's scripts it's still a little consusing. The advice on memory is twice the GPU's video RAM, which would mean 48GB at least. Also, make sure you have enough storage to hnadle the content you have installed - ideally not on the actual boot drive, if only to redice the pain should you need to do a system reinstall (quoth the voice of experience).

Hmm...64G it is then. If I were to redo my system install I would absolutely put it on an external drive. I don't care about load times as I'm not under any time crunches so that would work for my  purposes. No other concerns about the build? I think it's spendy but it is a 3090.