NVIDIA Studio vs Game Drivers

A week or so ago I posted here about getting D|S crashes when tweaking stuff in the scene while in Iray preview mode. I was getting an NVCUDA64.DLL error. I tried just about anything I could think of (hardware testing, driver updates, D|S beta updates, etc.), but still no luck. 

However, the last thing I tried was changing my NVIDIA Studio drivers (which were updated a few days ago) to the latest Game Ready drivers. And after a lot of testing, doing the same stuff that previously caused a crash, I can't get D|S to crash with the Game drivers. Go figure. 

I've always been of the impression that the Studio drivers are more solid and reliable, and have been using them for years, but I'm starting to wonder if that may not always apply.

Now I'm sure that, since we're dealing with the insanely complex world of computer hardware and software, it all depends on a bunch of variables, but I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed something similar. 

Comments

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

And of course, right after I posted this I went back and tried one more time with the new NVIDIA Game drivers to get my scene to crash and, of course, it crashed. So it seems the Game vs. Studio driver issue is, at least in this case, pretty much irrelevant. Which again turns the focus on something between D|S and Iray. 

BTW, in my research on this I found someone posted a video showing how he could get D|S to crash while adjusting stuff in Iray preview, though his focus was on Studio drivers being more stable. So it sounds like this issue of crashing while adjusting stuff in Iray preview really is an issue. 

• CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206

Game drivers are the best to use in my opinion, they are update more often due to industry demands and little kids crying they can't play a game because of optimisation issues, Since i play games in my free time i've never had an issue with the constant supply of updated drivers, If you're using Nvidia just install the game drivers don't install the Geoforce expeience i found the experience wasn't that great and it actually slowed my programs down probably due to them stealing information by using that service to harvest information about players.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
    edited June 2021

Studio drivers are just game drivers that are older. There is a danger updating every time they put out a update right away. They could have screwed something up. I recall there was one incident with nvidia drivers screwing up and frying some people's card lol. So I usually wait a while before updating it, so if anything like that happens, it's found out before I install it lol. Maybe once every month or three I pop over to nvidia and see if there is an update that is a few weeks old.

Post edited by TheKD on
  • ParallaxCreatesParallaxCreates Posts: 417
    edited June 2021

The information regarding Studio Drivers VS Game Ready Drivers has been clarified by Nvida, the manufacturer of said GPUs and developers of the drivers themselves. I know that this is redundant info but there seems to be this continuous effort to support the narrative of "Studio Drivers are just old Game Ready Drivers". Unless one of us here actually works @ Nvidia, then we should adhere to their own information regarding their own products. It's in everyone's best interest to do so, we all want the same thing...fast and stable renders.

The link below is from this year, straight from Nvidia.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4931/~/nvidia-studio-faqs

In the event one wonders why I am passionate about this subject, it started here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/458166/nvidia-drivers-studio-or-game-ready-with-video#latest

Best Regards

Post edited by ParallaxCreates on
  • M-CM-C Posts: 104

ebergerly said:

BTW, in my research on this I found someone posted a video showing how he could get D|S to crash while adjusting stuff in Iray preview, though his focus was on Studio drivers being more stable. So it sounds like this issue of crashing while adjusting stuff in Iray preview really is an issue. 

From my experience I can confirm the results of said video.
    My Iray preview freezes quite often during it´s initialization with the game ready drivers but it never ever does with studio drivers.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

"Studio Drivers undergo extensive testing against multi-app creator workflows and multiple revisions of the top creative applications from Adobe to Autodesk and beyond.". Doesn't say they are built different or anything. Just that they undergo more testing in specific apps. Gaming drivers are released more frequently, with fixes/optimizations for certain specific games that need the fixes.