Can material presets change which UV map is used?

I want to make a wood material preset that uses one UV map.

… and …

I want to make a marble stone material preset that uses a different UV map.

Ya. Wood planks have parallel edges that look dumb when stretched near corner edges by a certain kind of UV mapping.

Whereas marble stone looks better stretched around corner edges, and looks dumb when sheared at corner edges.

So. Can I make two different UV maps for one object, and have my material presets control which UV map is used?

And if so, how can I make multiple UV maps for a single object in Blender?

Comments

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,102

Yes of course you can. Just save out your obj file from Blender as two different objects with the different maps. Then you refer to those when loading a new uv set into DS.

• The preset can't, however, apply a new UV set - it has to be available on the model.

You can remap the model in Blender, export as OBJ (preserving vertex order etc.), and then use the option in the Surfaces pane menu (the lined button in the top corner, or rright-click the tab) to load a new UV Set. You can either save a new UV asset (File>Save As>Support Assets>UV Asset) or save a Scene Subset or Character preset and use that to load the model with the new UV sets.

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

Well, this went over my head. I could not make sense of it in any way that relates to what I see on my screen as I look at Daz Studio.

Oh well. I guess I'll just pick one type of UV map and committ to it.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,255

lukon100 said:

Well, this went over my head. I could not make sense of it in any way that relates to what I see on my screen as I look at Daz Studio.

Oh well. I guess I'll just pick one type of UV map and committ to it.

Yes, commit to one - that shall be the default uvmap. It gets saved as you save the figure/prop file. THEN, I think it's under Edit, geometry ... somewhere ... load in new UVset ... browse to and select the .obj that has the other uvset. Give it a good name. If it "takes" all is well. You will find it on the Surface Tab BUT do not save any mat files before saving the 2nd UVset. After you have saved the 2nd set [just select the one when saving], then you can apply materials as you please and save out the mat files. Because 2 or more exist, the uvmap selection will be included in the mat file.