G8F compatibility base broken AGAIN, from an environment?

vagansvagans Posts: 422

I installed Gothic Courtyard today and once again this is a product that seems to break G8F compatibility base. When I load any G8F character and select the Posing tab, I no longer get any content under Presets and "GC Statue" is selected in the Filter, greyed out.

The last time this happened with some character I bought there was some way to fix it (I've uninstalled the product but it's still broken in Daz) and I contacted Daz support about it. Something like 3 months later they replied asking if I'm still having the issue... just useless.

I can only conclude that it's the Gothic Courtyard that broke it since I just installed it and it says "GC Statue". I guess Sloshworks PA used G8F as the base for building the statue but setup something wrong.

EDIT: My original post regarding Kalaa which did the same thing

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/441807/kalaa-broke-daz-context-filters

Post edited by vagans on

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,440

Looks like it. The statue is actually a Genesis 8 Female character, not a prop (and comes with the long load time). That might have been the intention, but there may have been a legal issue making a prop directly from the base figure geometry. The metadata declares the statue as Genesis 8 Female, so it steals all the compatibilites. Re-installing the Genesis 8 Essentials should reassert the proper associations to Genesis 8 Female. Definitely needs a help ticket.

Installing any characters after this would probably restore the associations, since it would again declare Genesis 8 Female with the correct path. Characters don't actually need the Compatibility Base declararion, as it is already part of the base, but that's the way it is done 95% of the time.

The fix, for those who don't want to wait, is to edit the metadata file to change the CompatibilityBase of the Statue from "/Gothic Courtyard/GC Statue" to "/Genesis 8/Female" and change the ObjectCompatibility from (...yada yada...) REF="/Gothic Courtyard/GC Statue" to (...yada yada...) REF="/Genesis 8/Female".

Save the metadata, keep a copy safe in case you re-install at some point, and re-import the metadata for the product.

• blazblaz Posts: 261
    Thank you both, for reporting and for the fix. I bought this yesterday but haven't installed it yet.
  • vagansvagans Posts: 422

What should be done is for Daz to actually fix these. Additionally, either the tools to create these shouldn't allow declaration of the base figure which causes it, or QA to notice things like that and reject it before it's sold as a product.

It's like another prop product I bought recently and it included a custom icon for the folder heirarchy. Only the product creator decided to make the icon take over the Props folder, not just their own folder within it. So the base props folder has an icon for this particular product. I notified Daz help and their response was that the PA intended this and they don't plan on fixing anything. Is it minor? Yes, but it's stupid things like that which shouldn't be allowed and should be caught by QA during checking procedures.

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391

vagans said:

What should be done is for Daz to actually fix these. Additionally, either the tools to create these shouldn't allow declaration of the base figure which causes it, or QA to notice things like that and reject it before it's sold as a product.

It's like another prop product I bought recently and it included a custom icon for the folder heirarchy. Only the product creator decided to make the icon take over the Props folder, not just their own folder within it. So the base props folder has an icon for this particular product. I notified Daz help and their response was that the PA intended this and they don't plan on fixing anything. Is it minor? Yes, but it's stupid things like that which shouldn't be allowed and should be caught by QA during checking procedures.

I can only assume it is QA who assigns the compatibility base when they compile the product.  When I created it, I simply loaded Genesis 8 Female, posed her to match the gown, then parented the gown to her and saved as a scene subset.  I made no changes to Genesis 8 Female, except to add a custom UV for her so that the entire figure gets a single uv tile that allows for a texture to be applied evenly.  This should not have affected her compatibility base at all.  I have not run across this problem myself, nor have I heard anything like this prior to your issue.  So, this is not something I did (in case you still want to blame the PAs for messing up your Smart Content).  I hope you can resolve it with QA.  Since I didn't mess it up, I can't fix it for you.  Sorry this has happened to you now, as well as in the past. 

• vagansvagans Posts: 422
    edited June 2021

Slosh said:

vagans said:

I can only assume it is QA who assigns the compatibility base when they compile the product.  When I created it, I simply loaded Genesis 8 Female, posed her to match the gown, then parented the gown to her and saved as a scene subset.  I made no changes to Genesis 8 Female, except to add a custom UV for her so that the entire figure gets a single uv tile that allows for a texture to be applied evenly.  This should not have affected her compatibility base at all.  I have not run across this problem myself, nor have I heard anything like this prior to your issue.  So, this is not something I did (in case you still want to blame the PAs for messing up your Smart Content).  I hope you can resolve it with QA.  Since I didn't mess it up, I can't fix it for you.  Sorry this has happened to you now, as well as in the past. 

First of all I really appreciate the response from the original creator of the product, something that is very rare here. Unfortunately based on my experience with Daz as a company that provides services and products to consumers, I know that I will receive zero help or resolution on this matter. There's no chance I can resolve this with Daz support. Even with a relatively new product like Kalaa at the time I reported it, the response was months later and... well that was just representative of how Daz treats their customers.

Just know that I don't hold this against you as a PA personally. I have respect for your products and own several of them. Whoever's "fault" it is for what is occuring, the problem is that Daz isn't concerned about resolving the issue for myself and for other owners. The focus is purely on selling the products only, broken or not.

Post edited by vagans on
  • cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • XelloszXellosz Posts: 742

Has this been solved or DAZ is still trying to fix it?

• Xellosz said:

Have you tried reinstalling the Starter Essentials?

• XelloszXellosz Posts: 742

Richard Haseltine said:

Xellosz said:

Have you tried reinstalling the Starter Essentials?

I was thinking about buying the product as it's part of the sale. So, that's why I'm asking.