Can't open a file

PixelReaperPixelReaper Posts: 37

Hi, 

I have a very big issue here, if someone could help me it would be amazing !

I'm trying desesperetly to open a file but nothing seems to work I continuously having this message : 

Error opening file
An error occurred while reading the file, see the log file for more details.

When I check in the log file I have this :
2021-06-19 16:29:57.118 Error reading file, see log for more details.

Which obviously is not helping at all... I don't see any reason why I can't open this file anymore, I've just rendered a frame from this scene and the only thing I did since then is to restart my computer. I try to merge, open, rename, copy/paste it else where ... nothing works and I always has the same message. Is there anything I can do so I don't loose all the work I did on this scene ?

Thanks for your help.

Post edited by PixelReaper on

Comments

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

You sure there are no lines in the log file just prior to the "Error reading file" line? Out of curiousity I opened a DUF file in a text editor, deleted a parenthesis in one of the lines, then tried to open in DAZ Studio, and it gave me an error message saying it was missing a parenthesis, as expected. Maybe it's not even getting that far?

First thing I'd do is look in File Explorer at the file and make sure it isn't like 0 KB or something. 

FWIW, you probably won't need this but if you want to look inside the DUF file, just rename it with a .ZIP extension, then use 7 Zip or whatever to extract it. You can then open it in an editor like Notepad++. It's probably thousands of lines that you won't want to mess with, but anyway at least you can look inside. And when you're done, just zip it again, then rename to a .DUF extension. 

• Thanks for your answers,

The file size is 37.8 Mo (I did a hair simulation) 

In the log file the only two lines that appears when I try to open the file are : 

2021-06-19 18:37:54.742 Loading Startup Scene : C:\"path of the file ... which is correct"

2021-06-19 18:37:55.203 Error reading file, see log for more details.

I tried to open the file in a notepad++ but the only thing I see is "NULL" repeated indefinitely. I did try to zip it and un unzip it but then the file is empty, 0 bytes ... I may have missed something :s 

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

You need 7 zip.

https://www.7-zip.org

Windows zip utllity is a bit lacking.

• I'm actually using winrar. I did test with 7-zip but it's the same result :s

Yeah, the "NULL" means you opened the compressed version. Like I say, you need to uncompress/unzip it first. Rename a copy of the original .DUF file as "whatever.zip". Then right click on it and "Extract Here" (assuming you're using 7Zip). Then you can open that new file in Notepad++. Not sure if that will help though. Maybe it got corrupted during the hair sim or something. 

• PixelReaperPixelReaper Posts: 37
    edited June 2021

Okay so I tried whit the file that I can't open, when I unzip with winrar, I have an empty file. When I unzip it with 7zip it says it's not an archive.

I've tried with an other file that I CAN open and it's working as you say... so there is definitely something wrong about the file I can't open.

The question is ... why :( ?

I do have other back-up files but it's very frustrating to lose a finish simulated lighted work ...

Post edited by PixelReaper on
  • If it hadn't been written to since it last opened it's most likely a disc error, or possibly some kind of system utility (or possibly ransomrware).

• I was working on it this morning. I rendered a frame in Iray, saved it, closed daz. Then I did some color grading in photoshop and compositing in after effect. Got happy with this first result, then I re-opened it to render an other angle and BAM ... Error opening file : An error occurred while reading the file, see the log file for more details.

:(

Since it was a fairly hefty file (38 MB) I'm wondering if when you saved the file is it possible you might have closed DAZ before it finished saving? 

• that is a possibility but from my perspective daz closed normally :s 

Well I guess I have to start over ... and get use to do multiple save before rendering :(

Thanks for your help anyway :)