Do Flipped Normals eyes work in Daz?

RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,283

I am wondering if I can add these Flipped Normals eyes to Michael 8.1 figures without having to import them as Obj files?

They seem to work everywhere but Daz natively.

FlippedNormals Eye Kit

https://www.daz3d.com/flippednormals-eye-kit

...And, where do I get skin like this for Michael 8.1? 

Post edited by RexRed on

Comments

• Those ThingsThose Things Posts: 1,122

I see your question was never answered, and while I don't have a definitive answer, I just wanted to say that there shouldn't be--theoretically--any serious issues using these in Daz. It might be that you have to reverse a Dirext X normal map to an Open GL map, but that's as easy to do as opening the normal map in Photoshop, selecting the green channel, and inverting it. It's also possible that you'll have to drag your existing character maps into photoshop (or its equivalent) and spend some time lining these maps up to match the native ones, but it should be fairly straight forward. Something tells me (I could be wrong) that these aren't plug and play like typical Daz assets, and are more intended for merchant use or use for building assets for other platforms, but--at the end of the day, a normal map's a normal map, a height map's a height map, etc, etc. 

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

Those Things said:

IIt might be that you have to reverse a Dirext X normal map to an Open GL map, but that's as easy to do as opening the normal map in Photoshop, selecting the green channel, and inverting it.

It might be even easier than that. Texture Instance nodes in the Shader Mixer have a property called "Image Polarity". It's undocumented (because of course), but I think that's there to flip DirectX normals.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,255
    edited July 2021

Watching some of their videos, I think the idea would be to replace Genesis' eyes with the .obj files. Apply their textures to these .obj files. They've been hand-crafted to be very realistic. I hope I'm reading that right. The commercial license is rather steep.

The textures, if used on Genesis' eyes - yes I would go with putting them on a template but keeping the .png or .tiffs on the large side to keep as much of the detailing as possible.

They sell all kinds of modeling aids over on their website, the skin may or not be available over there.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

Dug around a little, their website apparently has a collection of stores so exercise caution there as several of the products are also being sold in several other places as well! I'll stick to ArtStation so I know what I've purchased.

For the skin tutorial they have here:  flippednormals.com/downloads/tutorial-barbarian-texturing-realistic-skin-for-characters/  he states this "I am using resources from Texturing.xyz for both the diffuse and displacement of the skin.

I find this interesting: the eyes were made with sculpting and a hair plugin!  XGen that comes with Maya!

The eyes were made in Egypt:  https://www.artstation.com/artwork/v212DD

And Fareed Nagy also makes figures with the great skin details.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/1naXG8