Thumbnail size in the Install Manager

Quick dumb question. So the first thing I do is download the thumbnails before installing the product. What I don't understand is that the size of individiual thumbnails shown by the installer seem to be different with some moderate useful sizes and then some giant size that block most of the screen. Is there a way to adjust these not to be magnified to that extreme? I guess I could just download the products and then the thumbnails.

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,438

This has been a problem for at least six months, with no progress. Some, as you say, have a nice moderately-sized thumbnail, but others just use the main promo at 1000x1300 px, or larger. Just resize them with a third-party graphics editing program, something that can do them in one batch.

• This is essentially a site issue, since the store software change the image supplied when DIM asks for a thumbnail have frequently been oversized - though newer products do now seem to be getting more sensible images.

• Wildman oSWildman oS Posts: 121
    edited December 2022

Of a little over 6000 products in my IM,  309 are oversized (IE: 5% of my products)

I guess the DAZ catalogue must be over 80,000 products, so that's 4000+ oversized thumbnails

For some, over-sized thumbnails might not be a problem

But because the useful information about the product is in the top r/h corner it is off the top  of my screen

Better to put the product info halfway down the thumbnail, where it should be seen whatever the thumbnail size

Better still, maybe DAZ could hire a guy to fix the oversized thumbnails, and while he is at the job maybe make some of those tiny thumbnails larger

Whilst each of us consumers could, individually,  correct every erroneous thumbnail, imagine every DAZ customer correcting them and how many 10s of 1000's of man/woman hours would be spent in the task

Whereas one (1) developer in DAZ could do it in a fraction of the time

EDIT: 

I moved all the large thumbnails to a backup folder (just in case of problems)

Then in IM I selected ALL the products and re-run the get 'all missing thumbnails'

IM appears to have re-downloaded all those thumbnails I removed with much smaller size (actually a little too small)

Post edited by Wildman oS on
  • This issue was fixed in a recent build of DIM, overriding the oversied images from the store. The size is user-configurable. http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/change_log_1_4_0_94#1_4_0_83

• Richard Haseltine said:

This issue was fixed in a recent build of DIM, overriding the oversied images from the store. The size is user-configurable. http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/change_log_1_4_0_94#1_4_0_83

edited December 2022

HMmm, I'm running IM version 1.4.0.94 (64 bit)

As you say the thumbnail problem should be fixed in InstallMgr : Incremented build number to 1.4.0.82

• Product thumbnails are now resized by the application if the image from the server exceeds the thumbnail local max height

• Default max height is 182 pixels

• Added support for an OverrideThumbnailMaxHeight setting

• Manually set within the INI for a given account

• Value is expected to be a number in the [182, 546] range

•  

However I have not modified the INI file yet still had thumbnails exceeding 1440 vertical pixels despite the fix supposedly making default max height to 182 pixels

I will take a closer look at the INI and modify it to my preference.

EDIT:

Initially I assumed that IM would download thumbnails at original size and then resize them on-the-fly as they were shown in IM

However, what actually happens is that IM resizes thumbnails during the download according to the parameter setting

Therfore, to see the new parameter take effect, oversized thumbnails need to be re-downloaded

• Wildman oS said:

As you say the thumbnail problem should be fixed in InstallMgr : Incremented build number to 1.4.0.82

• Product thumbnails are now resized by the application if the image from the server exceeds the thumbnail local max height

•  

However I have not modified the INI file yet still had thumbnails exceeding 1440 vertical pixels despite the fix supposedly making default max height to 182 pixels

It resizes the thumbnail on download, it doesn't do anything to thee xisting downloaded thumbnails.

edited December 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

Wildman oS said:

•  

It resizes the thumbnail on download, it doesn't do anything to thee xisting downloaded thumbnails.

As I explained above :)

But that isn't obvious from the update notes.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 2022

If anybody has bothered to follow this thread so far

The new IM not only down-sizes 'too-large' thumbnails, it re-sizes ALL thumbnails according to the IM INI parameter 'OverrideThumbnailMaxHeight'

(very small thumbnails are upsized, although to a lesser size than that set in the parameter, but still an improvement) 

I first closed IM, then set the INI parameter to 546

Deleted ALL my thumbnails

(default installation location is C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\Thumbnails)

Re-loaded IM

Then selected all products in each of the IM tabs (one tab at a time)

Right mouse button over one of the selected products and select 'download all missing' from the menu

Now, most thumbnails are an equal size and the product info is very easy to see

Joy for the OCD and those who enjoy uniformity :)