Fatal Error Crash - How to resolve? - SOLVED

Gemini QueenGemini Queen Posts: 263

So recently I rendered a scene that was particularly great, and moved on to the next one. However, when I try to render it, I get the fatal error crash and it closes out. I was under the impression that this was only the case when you ran out of ram. This was the case with my last computer, but then when I upgraded to a new computer, this was no longer the issue. Now with a much nicer scene, I'm having this same issue. I'm planning to take my PC to Best Buy to get another 8 GB DDR4 ram stick, preferrably the same brand (as I've been told by my supervisor). I was wondering if there was anything else that could be causing this. But to be clear - 

Yes, I could still render smaller scene just fine. 

Yes, I could still use IRAY view to veiw the rendered version of the images. 

No, I couldn't view the larger scene in IRAY view, it would crash. 

No, I haven't installed any new program that would cause this (I didn't think this would be relevant, but I figured I'd mention it anyway.) 

Thankss head of time! 

Post edited by Gemini Queen on

Comments

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,255

Between renders, close/reopen D/S - clears the cache. Load next scene, render it. Have read somewhere in the forums that even spot renders clog up the VRAM. I need a computer with more VRAM too.

• Gemini QueenGemini Queen Posts: 263

Catherine3678ab said:

Between renders, close/reopen D/S - clears the cache. Load next scene, render it. Have read somewhere in the forums that even spot renders clog up the VRAM. I need a computer with more VRAM too.

I did try to close it out and re-open it. That didn't seem to help, but I'll try again right now. Also, something else that I have is a RAM cleaner program. It's something that I discovered about 2 years ago when clearing out RAM for gaming/digital design. Normally, I could just run it a couple of times, clear out the RAM and keep going, but I'll see if it works right now. 

edited June 2021

Okay, the other thing is the subD on characters. Esp. those off in the background, turn it way down [0 or 1, maybe 2 but not 3-5+] SubD also eats up the memory. That's why we're having more issues with the G8 figures than we did with Genesis and cubes and spheres, etc.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

So I just tried it again, got the same error message. I then checked bacl here and saw your message about theBut this time, I chose to expand it and take a look at what it all said. I don't really understand much of it, but I figured I'd post it here so people can see just in case someone knowns what this stuff means. When I hit "Save" for the error log for the crash, it created a zip folder that held 3 items. 

cloudLog.txt

crashdump. dmp

errorlog.xml

I tried to upload them all, but the system wouldn't let me, so I just uploaded the cloudLog.txt and took screen shots of the error. 

txt
    txt
    cloudLog.txt
    system.png
    2640 x 1027 - 426K
    system 2.png
    2640 x 1027 - 435K

So I did the slightest bit of digging, and noted that this is the definition of the dmp file - 

DMP file is a file that contains data "dumped" from a program's memory space.  -courtesy of Google

I also looked up the definition of the xml file - 

A file with the .xml file extension is an Extensible Markup Language (XML) file. These are really just plain text files that use custom tags to describe the structure and other features of the document. - courtesy of HowToGeek

From my understanding, they are both just further explanations of the error that I received in the original windows that I screenshotted. I'm going to contact customer support on this one too and ask them what they make of it, since there aren't a million post about the specifics of this kind of issuse,. 

My error logs were very strange ones too IMHO.

What I tried was: running the DISM and then the sfc /scannow* - which actually found something it claimed to fix [hope so] ... but D/S was still crashing on renders so I put in a ticket. Discovered the answer was NOT to have up-to-date NVidia drivers, roll that back. My computer said there was nothing to roll back so I went to their website and downloaded the previous studio drivers, then uninstalled the up-to-date drivers and ran their installer. So far D/S is behaving much better.
    Alternatively one could have the up-to-date drivers and use the D/S beta program.

* info on M$ webpages

I went to the FAQs and followed these instructions - 

One possible solution is to clear the DS and DSON cache.
    By default, they are located here:
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp and C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\dson\cache
    If you can not see your AppData folder, type %appdata% in the Start menu and Windows will open the hidden folder.
    Simply delete the files in these folders.

courtesy of the Daz3D Help Center FAQs. 

I've never done anything like rolling back the drivers, so I'll have to look on google how to do something like that. And when you say the beta program, what do you mean? Any additional thoughts would be super helpful, thanks. 

edited June 2021

Gemini Queen said:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp and C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\dson\cache
    If you can not see your AppData folder, type %appdata% in the Start menu and Windows will open the hidden folder.

I've never done anything like rolling back the drivers, so I'll have to look on google how to do something like that. And when you say the beta program, what do you mean? Any additional thoughts would be super helpful, thanks. 

The beta program is here: https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta

Can only be installed via DIM. For the beta programs Daz3D uses the latest drivers that NVidia sends them.

Yes, going to the Microsoft pages for instructions is best, they have detailed instructions showing all the pop-ups too. If you make the page size small enough, you can follow the instructions with the page open. {at least for some of it}

The information I used also is found here:

https://www.driversupport.com/knowledge-article/rollback-nvidia-drivers-windows-10/

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

Catherine3678ab said:

Just to clarify, DS still runs as a Background Process untill I kill it in the Task Manager. In fact I can't re-open DS untill I kill the background process in TM. It didn't use to be like this and maybe it's down to Win 10 or the newer versions of DS.

fred9803 said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Just to clarify, DS still runs as a Background Process untill I kill it in the Task Manager. In fact I can't re-open DS untill I kill the background process in TM. It didn't use to be like this and maybe it's down to Win 10 or the newer versions of DS.

Haven't been having that problem lately. If I were then I'd go for rebooting the computer.

Several editions of D/S ago I would find "several" instances of its background .exes running for ? reasons unknown to me.

Alright, so I submitted my ticket to the support team with all the bug files, waiting to see what they say may or may not be wrong with it. I also got the beta version of Daz like you suggested. I installed it per what the instructions on the store page suggested, and reloaded the scene. Everything loaded fine, almost a little faster than normal honestly, and then I tried to render. Still, the same message. So I'll wait to see what they say, and I'll get the extra ram/a better CPU this Friday at Best Buy. If neither of those work, then I'll just have to try rolling the drivers back I guess, since nothing else is working. Thanks for looking into with me as much as you have! 

Catherine3678ab said:

fred9803 said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Haven't been having that problem lately. If I were then I'd go for rebooting the computer.

Several editions of D/S ago I would find "several" instances of its background .exes running for ? reasons unknown to me.

I too haven't seen this issue. However, I did notice that when I read the error logs, I saw that there were some other programs that were runnign in the background that need to be. But they never messed with the rendering before I started making bigger scenes. 

The only other program I tried running when doing a render that was apparently too near the limit, was the browser. Big Mistake. Reset the browser. Somewhere along the line lost sound. It was quite the night. Eventually the sound came back on ... noticed some changes at YouTube so possibly they were also running updates lol ...

edited June 2021

Gemini Queen said:

Alright, so I submitted my ticket to the support team with all the bug files, waiting to see what they say may or may not be wrong with it. I also got the beta version of Daz like you suggested. I installed it per what the instructions on the store page suggested, and reloaded the scene. Everything loaded fine, almost a little faster than normal honestly, and then I tried to render. Still, the same message. So I'll wait to see what they say, and I'll get the extra ram/a better CPU this Friday at Best Buy. If neither of those work, then I'll just have to try rolling the drivers back I guess, since nothing else is working. Thanks for looking into with me as much as you have! 

You're welcome. I know the entire world of 3D programs can be frustrating at times. Hope they have a solution for you. 

Rolling back the drivers is not painful. I just went step by step carefully and all went as it should. I do not understand how one can run a computer with the video card driver uninstalled but it continued to function however one does have to reboot the computer after installing the new drivers. As I recall it even suggested that in the process.

Gemini Queen said:

The dson cache! wow, that is not emptied when we close D/S nor when the computer is closed. Over 800mb mine had. Possibly explains something though. I have noticed that after installing new characters, the first load seems to take longer than the next time the same figure is loaded. Writes rather interesting data in all those files too. 

Thanks for the HU :-)

So I checked out the help forums on another site that shall not be mentioned here, and they suggested check the Nvidia drivers for updates for the gaming version and for the studio version. Found out there were updates for both on the Nvidia website and got those in. I also checked Windows for updates, and found two in there, so I got those take care of as well. I booted up daz and it did load a little faster, but I'm not sure if that's because I haven't used it in the past couple of days or if it's due to the updates. Moment of truth, would it render the image? Nope. All that and it still gives me that clunky error message of death. I'm seriously hoping that customer support gets back to me soon on this, cause this is just crazy. 

No, it's not likely we can use the up-to-date Studio Drivers in the regular release of Daz Studio. That's why I had mentioned about rolling back drivers. I'm using the driver issued just prior to that release.

Another thing which can cause crashes is using non-Iray shaders in an Iray render and vice versa. Esp. [I discovered] if one has both 3Delight and Iray shaders on the same model.

After a long trip to the Best Buy, I have learned 2 things - 

1. When you go to Best Buy about your 3D program, ask them who has had experience with 3D programs, cause most of them haven't. They know almost nothing about 3D programs and will tip toe through the tulips about it. I asked them 5 different times to just let me boot up the program and show them the error message. Wasted the first 10 minutes of my appointment trying to tell me that they needed to run a full system diagnostic. Had to explain, again that Daz produces it's own error log for review and that they should work on that. They even asked me about what the website was called that had the support forums for the program. Again, informed him that I'd been combing these forums for days with no success. They were polite, just stubborn about admitting that they didn't know what to do/haven't dealt with 3D stuff. 

2. The first go to is always to replace/update the RAM. When we did finally get around to talking about the things that I had done to try and fix it, they said everything that I'd done was right thus far. But they were suggesting that it was either the RAM or the CPU. Good thing it was the RAM, as I would have had to get a new PC if it was the CPU. So I tested it there in the store, and the image started rendering, and I could have done a backflip. Thanks Catherine3678ab for being so awesome and making the suggestions! It's always nice to see you helping out! 

You're welcome and happy to hear that you've got it working!

• Prince WaoPrince Wao Posts: 373

Re:

After "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\dson\cache" there's aslo a data folder and in that I have a further 627 folders containing 1,444 files! Are you saying it's okay to delete all of these?!

Yes, it should be just fine. I deleted them all and rebooted the program. Nothing was out of order and everything ran the same, aside from the error message still coming up from lack of RAM. 

Thanks! I've had the same problem with 16GB RAM, a problem I've never had previously, so I'm trying another render now that I've cleared all that garbage - I also gained 5GB in disc space! - but with the scene I'm working on it takes an hour before even reaching the first iteration and then that's the point it's crashed numerous times over the couple of days! STOP PRESS: it's just crashed again and now I have a frozen black monitor! I was hoping for a back-flip, but insted I'm doing a front-flip, banging my head against the laptop and screaming "Hubbubble, bubbubble, toil and troububble, I've hurt my head and I'm seeing doubbubble!" :D

Not that I have installed 'every' edition of D/S [because I haven't] but so far this one has been the least satisfactory for me.

So. I uninstalled, reinstalled, sadly could not find the 'one' installer I wanted back ... so ... I actually ran a PCCleaner for the 1st time on W10, uninstalled D/S ... still have an old edition's info showing the uninstall panel of the control panel, even PCCleaner could not get rid of that. Remember back when the installers had one number but they were installing a newer edition, that's the one I was trying to get back: DAZ Studio 4.11 (64bit) is the name of the installer and it installs 4.12.0.86 {installed on the 09-03-2021}. Apparently when I went to backup installers, they had already updated to a newer 4.12 edition and wow! hmm ... no like that interface, so, uninstalled any signs of programs {but not the content of course}, uninstall the NVidia driver ...

Went over the NVidia site and via that helper program of theirs installed the latest driver ... installed DIM, ran it and installed the Post thingie and the beta D/S. Two small test renders did NOT crash the program. Loading in a scene and trying for a small test render DID crash the program - this is a laptop. The one thing I did not know about the laptops was that the video cards on them have less RAM than the same card on a Desktop. So I'll have to live with that until I get another fancy Desktop which likely won't be for over a year, maybe a short 2. Depends you know on how the rest of RL [real life] goes.

The beta did not show all my purchased plugins, so I have just copied those over and am about to lauch the program and see if now they will appear.

@ Prince Wao ... please be careful, we all only have one head ;-)

laugh

Successfully ran a few Iray renders in the beta with the up-to-date NVidia driver :-)

It did crash on a scene file - that gas store that was on sale the other day. To be fair though, this is but a laptop. If does have limits ...

n.b. a number of Iray situations which crash any of the programs - can be run using 3Delight [might need to change the shaders and lights but still, 3Delight is nice too]

Most of the plugins seem to load by moving over "all" the concerned elements ... but NOT Decimator. For starters to get the installer to run one has to fool it with a DS exe file in the folder it expects to find it [details like this can be annoying at times, I understand 'why' but still] so I got an up-to-date Decimator and ran the installer, whether or not I move the driver over to the beta folder, it redlines. Not a game changer -- so far this beta seems to be rendering faster in the beta. That has to be good news. Maybe somebody on a proper desktop can confirm such details but for me, so far it seems to be taking a few minutes instead of very many minutes on a head portrait [I actually put a hair on it too].

Something I noticed while combing for installers, DS used to be a much lighter program. Under 200 mbs for example. Now it is certainly not. And that could be why we're noticing more issues when it comes to RAM usage, etc. too. The beta folder has a lovely drawer of Iray drivers ... so indeed much work appears to have been done towards Iray rendering, yes :-)

If we should all live so long, my next achievement goal is to learn something better about how to light scenes. I noticed a limit on my NVidia videocard - for 8 lights. Info can be retrieved in D/S :-) So the number of lights in a scene matters, esp. on ye ol' little laptop. Then maybe I can rise to become the forum's 3rd worst renderer :-) [self-appointed positions] I bought some tutorials I did I did. The first one claimed to be about an hour and a half long ... turned out to be about half an hour waiting for the show to begin!

Rambling on ... to use the HeadShop plugin in the beta edition, one has to go to the Preferences editor in DS and redirect the temp folder from the beta temp location over to where it would be if one had the regular D/S installed. HeadShop is rather attached to that folder ... if it's not there, AFTER all the work is done, then at the last instance no it will not transfer over the morph and textures to the figure.   The Temporary Files selection MUST BE: AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp

Oh yeah, the bridges to Blender [I never installed the others] are "poof" ... BUT the important one - to Hexagon does appear to be working. [one does have to tell the program where to look for Hexagon of course] Item was sent over and returned, no issues. It's possible that if one goes through all the fiddling again it might reappear, but if that appearance is like the rest of the script drop-down, it won't last.

n.b. I never updated the Blender bridge - it took too much fiddling to get it working the first time 'round and I don't really use Blender much as everybody knows. So hopefully if one does both the updating and the fiddling, their Blender etc. bridges are working.

• Catherine, right on as usual: we do not recommend using HeadShop with beta DAZ Studio for several reasons, you just mentioned one. Good to have you provide tech tips, they save some user frustration. Happy summer to you!

edited June 2021

info_b3470fa520 said:

Catherine, right on as usual: we do not recommend using HeadShop with beta DAZ Studio for several reasons, you just mentioned one. Good to have you provide tech tips, they save some user frustration. Happy summer to you!

And a happy summer to you as well :-)

I was happy to get it working in the beta because that's the only edition on board atm.