Editing Material Presets & Changing Material Zone Names

2 related questions:

1. Can material presets be easily edited? If I want to revise a material preset, the only way I know how to do that is by making a new material preset from scratch, giving it the same name as the one I want revise, thus over-writing the one I want to revise.

Some material presets can be pretty complicated, with about a hundred things to put check-marks on or un-check-mark in the hierarchical list. Re-making such complicated material presets can be time consuming, to say the least.

It would be nice to edit existing material presets in the GUI, wherein you open the preset in some kind of edit mode where you can see what is already check-marked or not, and adjust as one pleases. Does this feature exist?

2. If I change the name of a material zone in the Geometry Editor (where material zones are called “Surfaces”), is there a way to update the material zone name in all the material presets that applied to that material zone?

When I changed the name of a “Surface” in the Geometry Editor, all the material presets I had already made no longer controlled the material parameters for that Surface. I guess material presets don’t automatically “get the memo” about such name changes. Is there a way to make them “get the memo”, and without having to edit them?

Comments

• What sort of edits are you wanting to make? Presets are just text files, possibly compressed, so in  principle a text editor could do the job.

One thing you do would certainly be to edit the Surface names.

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798

lukon100 said:

Some material presets can be pretty complicated, with about a hundred things to put check-marks on or un-check-mark in the hierarchical list. Re-making such complicated material presets can be time consuming, to say the least.

There's a button at the top right of the Material Preset dialog that lets you do time saving things like "check all modified only." Took me quite a while to notice it, but it saved a lot of time when I did!