What is the most ideal way to set up DAZ and content?

Okay, I have a computer that is solely here just for DAZ. There's almost nothing else loaded on the computer. The way my computer was set up from the factory, I have two drives. THe C drive, which has a total storage of 237GB and the E drive, which has a toatl storage of 1.81TB. In an effort to keep everything centralized, I put DAZ, and all directories on the E drive. Up until yesterday, everything had been running fine. Now, my genesis 8 smart content won't load and I'm contemplating trying to clean everything up. I have a ton of DAZ content (most from the DAZ store, some other items in different folders) but I feel like there's a disconnect between the content on the computer, and DAZ recognizing the content.

I'm also considering getting an external hard drive to store DAZ content on because soon, I'm going to use up all of the 1.81TB on the E drive. What should I be worried about when I do this? How do I ensure I don't lose all the characters I've made and saved? At this point, I have well over 5,000 scenes and well over 100 OC's created. I don't want to lose those.

Comments

• CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206

Set it up the way you think is most useful to you and your current setup wether that be multiple monitors of something that makes use of other editors, DAZ3D for most people here is just one program that bridges into others, when setting up make sure that it's easy for you to manage many editors and the movement of files from one to another with whatever setup you'll eventually use. You'll probably also need an area to do full conversions or have custom files for things like shape injector script where you'll need to create folders and sub folders in a file tree for the items your injecting morphs into

I have my DAZ3D editor and content set to a seperate drive you can make the directories to where you need them to go just make sure the file links work for whatever your setting up by having the correct directory or it won't detect where you have setup your new content area.

Some reason it will still place certain files on a main C:/ drive like user files and renders which you can still change via other settings, You'll need to link it upto the install manager and daz central so it can read where you have put the editor. Always check all file locations are going to the places you want them to go or things may not work. Plenty of information on how to setup your studio just do a google search on whatever you need generally it will lead you too a page here in forums where someone explains how to get it working.

• Temp files can be moved off the C: drive via Edit>Preferences