dForce hair not rendering or showing in viewport with the "Preview PR Hairs" option selected

I'm sorry to ask something that's been asked before but the solution suggested is not working for me. I decided to buy a few dForce hairstyles today and I cannot get them to work. All will render only the cap. The preview does not work either and the usual fix that's given, to turn on "Preview PR Hairs" is not doing anything. My lovely new hairstyles are not all that useful right now :(

I've attached a picture showing what I see with the "Preview PR Hairs" option selected. I didn't attach a render, but please believe me, it looks the same!

I've tried a few styles and the result is the same for all of them. This one is "dForce SeaSalt". I have no trouble with dForce in general, it works fine for clothes and I can see from the non-iRay previews that the simulation appears to work correctly as far as the geometry is concernted. Please help, it's driving me mad!

And again, sorry if I missed something, it is a frequent question, but I can't seem to find the answer.

Thanks so much!

No hair.png
1989 x 1230 - 1M

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,876

Go down to Line Tesselation and increase preview hair tesselation above 1.

• AndrewJJPAndrewJJP Posts: 657

Thanks. I am sorry, I should have said I have been trying those settings. This is not just affecting the preview, it's also the render.

Here is what I did to create these picture:

- Load a G8 into the default workspace

- Add (for example) dForce Side Bob Hair

- Load the product's simulation settings and simulate

- Ensure that "Preview PR Hairs" is "On".

- Set both line tesselation settings to 5 (render was already set to 5). I see what's pictured. No hair.

- Render. I attach the render. Still no hair :(

Is this what people would expect to happen? dForce hair is new to me, so sorry if this is obvious.

No hair 2.jpg
    2607 x 1702 - 457K
    No Hair Render.jpg
    800 x 640 - 156K

Hit Alt+Shift+U and try rendering again.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

Which tool do you have active?

• AndrewJJPAndrewJJP Posts: 657

felis said:

It was Mesh Grabber! Thanks so much, I don't think I would ever have worked that out!

Thanks to both of you, I'll also check out those keystrokes to see what they do. Always keen to keep learning :)

• CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206
    edited June 2021

Slide the viewport tessilation upto 2 or 3 & render tessilation line too 2 after you turn preview hairs on. This also could be located under the main file name in parameters like a scalp or file with a similar name. also some hair pices have many parts if you want them all to show in veiwport render you'll have to set them all on this way. Only good if your just cheaking something out quickly leave it off to save perfomance when setting up the scene it will show in final renders and draw less memory while setting up in other modes.

Post edited by Cenobite on
  • I don't know what Alt+Shift+U does but it worked for me after doing this and then re-applying preview on.

I was having problems with ALL of my dforce hair not previewing, even after reboot so must be a caching bug and I guess Alt+Shift+U clears it?

FasterScene said:

I don't know what Alt+Shift+U does but it worked for me after doing this and then re-applying preview on.

I was having problems with ALL of my dforce hair not previewing, even after reboot so must be a caching bug and I guess Alt+Shift+U clears it?

Alt+Shift+U switches to the Universal tool. Certain tools (geometry editor and Mesh Grabber at least) will prevent dForce hair/SBH from appearing in Iray preview, so if Alt+Shift+U solves your problem, that means that one of those tools was active.

• Gordig said:

FasterScene said:

I don't know what Alt+Shift+U does but it worked for me after doing this and then re-applying preview on.

Alt+Shift+U switches to the Universal tool. Certain tools (geometry editor and Mesh Grabber at least) will prevent dForce hair/SBH from appearing in Iray preview, so if Alt+Shift+U solves your problem, that means that one of those tools was active.

The geometry editor hides things it can't handle, and shows things it can handle - so strand hair, which is generated at render time, is hidden while and polygons hidden by GeoGrafts are shown.

• Geometry editor seems to be the big problem. Dforce hair will not preview OR render with it on. Make sure you slect the universal tool or similar to deselect thr geometry editor. This bug has been reported to Daz months ago.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,843

tonyjas46_1cccd9144e said:

Geometry editor seems to be the big problem. Dforce hair will not preview OR render with it on. Make sure you slect the universal tool or similar to deselect thr geometry editor. This bug has been reported to Daz months ago.

We've been told that it is not a bug.

• felis said:

Wow, I don't know if laugh or cry, I almost gave up on my project because nothing worked and it looked ugly, suddenly, without any obvious reason. It indeed was Mesh grabber. Hard to belive that this awesome tool gave me such hell. Thanks good sir!