Is there a way to disable mipmapping?

Is there a way to disable or lower the mipmap level for IRAY renders?

Comments

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

Not sure what you mean. DS doesn't have mipmapping perse. There is something close to it I suppose. It's render settings > advanced tab texture compression. If you want less compression, set those numbers higher, if you want more, set it lower.

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 872

Did notice when I zoom in closer to a face (like close portrait), that suddenly my Iray render time went up significantly.

Never found the switch for this, or figured out why.  Happened regularily and noticeable as heck.  Do have my Iray set all the way to performance in options so maybe also a reason?  Without a programmer-access just guessing.   Otherwise like KD says, or res-levels like base, High 1-4.

• DafaDafa Posts: 97

It's funny, I tweaked around with the texture compression settings and found that it didn't lower texture compression at all... maybe it was because I already compressed it at a somewhat low compression level and it wouldn't change after doing it once... idk. 

Also, I just happen to see "miplevels" located in the DAZ logs when loading textures, for example:

2021-06-10 03:27:08.952 Iray [INFO] - IMAGE:IO ::   1.0   IMAGE  io   info : Loading image "F:\d\Runtime\Textures\Mousso\Warrin\Warrin_Arms_Specular.jpg", pixel type "Rgb", 4096x4096x1 pixels, 1 miplevel.
  • I tihnk I saw a thing somewhere recently about needing to turn off mipmapping in a Filement render node as one of th things you'd do of you were trying to make Filement view behave more like Iray, lightingwise and stuff, might have been mentioned in one of the live video seminar thingies...  Was this what you were talking about?

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886

That "1 miplevel" basically tells you the image DS just loaded only has one level to it, which is what you would expect from a JPEG, using a format like TIFF or DDS, which can and do use mipmaps, will give you a completely different number there.

Just popped a 1024x1024 DDS onto a plane and it shows 11 miplevels, wether IRAY can actually switch between the miplevels is another story.