[Solved for practical purposes] DAZ 4.15 not opening

gmm2gmm2 Posts: 95

I updated to version 4.15, and now I can't open DAZ at all. It won't even initialize enough to give an error. Initially I thought this was because I accidentally misread the system requirements, but upon looking over them again it doesn't seem like anything's wrong there. I've already put in a customer service request for the older version I had, just in case.

Here's my system:

Windows 10

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz   1.99 GHz

16 GB RAM

64-bit

Am I missing something obvious?

Post edited by gmm2 on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,381

If you go to

%AppData%/daz 3d/studio4/log.txt

how does the log file end?

• gmm2gmm2 Posts: 95
    edited May 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

If you go to

%AppData%/daz 3d/studio4/log.txt

how does the log file end?

It hasn't recorded any data from any of my attempts to open it. The last entry is from this morning just after I updated, when I tried opening 4.12 as normal to make sure it still worked. It was able to open without issue, so I closed it. After that, nothing, not even any activity in the Task Manager. At the time, I thought there were two different executables each shortcut was linking to.

Edit:

Tried opening through DAZ Central, still nothing. Uninstalling and reinstalling 4.15 did nothing.

Post edited by gmm2 on

Please try the Public Build and see if that will start https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta - it has to be installed through Install Manager, Daz Central doesn't handle betas.

That one worked, thank you for the suggestion! Seems to handle my older files just fine. I guess the problem is technically fixed, though it's weird there was a problem to begin with.

This isn't just a workaround, correct? I can keep using the public build as normal?

You can use the beta, but if it works and the geneal release doesn't then it's likely soem specific issue - a bad plug-in, something to do with the cofiguration files, some default load or connection setting. One thing you could try is going to

%AppData%/daz 3d/studio4/

and this tiem remove the layout files - actions.dsx, layout.dsx, menus.dsx, toolbars.dsx are just settings, customactions.dsx provides the actual list of scripts and content that have been made into custom actions so you might try leaving that for a first go round - and then try launching the general release again.

edited May 2021

Thanks again, Richard. I'll give those other suggestions a try, even though it's not pressing anymore. Not sure how those files would've become corrupted or whatever.

Post edited by gmm2 on