Can I make this special ERC?

I want to link 2 slider controls together a certain way. I suspect the ERC feature can do this. But there are peculiarities in how I want the 2 controls to relate to one another. So maybe there are ways to get ERC to do this.

I want to make a “YScale” parameter control adjust a “YTranslate” parameter such that:

The YScale limits are 88% to 115%

and

When the YScale is 88%, the YTanslate is -1.3

and

When the YScale is 100%, the YTranslate is 0

and

When the YScale 115%, the YTranslate is 1.9

and

Moving the YScale between the limits will move the YTranslate proportionally between the associated values.

and

The YTranslate parameter does not have limits, such that the user can still adjust it beyond what the YScale control did.

and

If the user does adjust the YTranslate value, it becomes the new offset for the YScale controller, such that:

When the YScale is 88%, the YTanslate is -1.3 + the offset

and

When the YScale is 100%, the YTranslate is 0 + the offset

and

When the YScale 115%, the YTranslate is 1.9 + the offset

So, can I make this kind of ERC in Daz Studio? And if so, how?

Comments

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,102

You can make a keyed ERC, basically you are animating it and setting each of those values.

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

3WC said:

You can make a keyed ERC, basically you are animating it and setting each of those values.

Thanks, 3WC.

Now I need some tutorials on how to do that.

I can't find any such tutorial when I do a web search for "keyed ERC".

So now I need some help searching for the right thing. Where do I look? How do I find it?

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,102

You do it in the property hierarchy. Once you find the property you need, drill down to the sub-components, then the ERC should be there. You can change the type to keyed, add keys, and set them to whatever value you like.

Thanks for trying to help, 3WC.

Unfortunately I have only the vaguest idea what your instructions are talking about. As I look at my Daz Studio interface, I see nothing that corresponds to the objects you describe in your instructions. I did a web search to find out what you mean by "proprty hierarchy" just to find out what that is. No clear answer there, but I deduced that it must be the tree-list of properties on the left side of the properties tab. Given this, I still can't make sense of drilling down to any sub-component where an ERC would be. What ERC? If none have been created by me yet, why would I even expect to see one? I simply do not understand any of this.

I reapeat: is there a tutorial that explains it that I can view on the internet? And if so, can someone direct me to it, please?

edited May 2021

I found the tutorial for doing this and it worked.

What I want to do, the keyed ERC, is explained starting on page 20 of this tutorial that one must download: https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/81207

Although I should warn anyone else who is in my same situation that the tutorial applies only to situations in which someone already has created an ERC relationship that will show up in the properties heirarchy. The tutorial does not cover what to do if you simply want to ERC link two or more existing property controls, like I'm doing. This changes things a bit. I had to figure out what to do differently, myself. And here is what I figured out:

Create the ERC link between the two existing properties. I did this by giving the Sub-Compoenent, or "Salve", property an arbitrary non-zero value (make sure it is the ONLY property that has a non-zero value), and then right-clicking the Controller property in Edit Mode and clicking on ERC Freeze. This poped up the ERC Freeze gizmo showing the Sub-Component already selected to link with it. Close the ERC Freeze gizmo.

Now you can right-click on the Controller proerty in Edit Mode and from the menu pick "Show in Property Heirarchy". This brings up the gizmo that allows you to change the ERC to a keyed type and set the key values and so on, just as described in the tutorial.

Post edited by lukon100 on