Trouble applying Iray shader to OBJ

Using a 3rd party OBJ of a crumpled rag, I tried to apply an Iray lace fabric shader, but all I get is a solid, shiny surface instead of a lace pattern. I've never had this issue before. I did try varying the horizontal & vertical tiling by quite a bit, but get the same results every time. The image provided shows a standard primitive plane on the left and the OBJ on the right Top is NVIDIA viewport and bottom is wireframe view.

Lace.png
1309 x 1474 - 1M

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,893

Does the OBJ have the Uber base shader applied? If not, you'll need to apply that before the preset.

• mikethe3dguymikethe3dguy Posts: 515

Yes it does

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,317

Is the OBJ UV-Mapped?

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,705

The crumpled rag probably isn't UV unwrapped. Which means it cannot properly display any image map, so it will only show a solid color.

zombietaggerung said:

The crumpled rag probably isn't UV unwrapped. Which means it cannot properly display any image map, so it will only show a solid color.

A-ha. Thanks - any way to fix this?

I downloaded UVmapper and created a UV for it. Just trying to figure out how to apply it to the object...

mikethe3dguy said:

zombietaggerung said:

A-ha. Thanks - any way to fix this?

Well, I would import the obj into Blender and UV unwrap it there then re export the unwrapped obj out and into DS. Since it's a funny shape, I'd use the Smart UV Project option in Blender.

mikethe3dguy said:

I downloaded UVmapper and created a UV for it. Just trying to figure out how to apply it to the object...

You don't have to "apply" it. Just re-export the now UV unwrapped object out of that program and import it into DS. then apply the shader as before.

zombietaggerung said:

You don't have to "apply" it. Just re-export the now UV unwrapped object out of that program and import it into DS. then apply the shader as before.

Ah, beautiful, worked like a charm - thanks!

Glad to help. yes