Daz Connect Installations not appearing as Installed in Daz Central

If I install a product through Daz Central for Daz Studio, the product will always appear as installed in Daz Connect, but never the other way around.

That is, if I install a product in Daz Connect, that same product appears as uninstalled in Daz Central, although I have no problems using it in Daz Studio.

How can I sync my Daz Connect installations with Daz Central so that if I install a product in Daz Connect, it'll appear as Installed in Daz Central as well?

If I Install that same product (already installed in Daz Connect) but currently appearing as uninstalled in Daz Central, will I then get 2 copies of the same product listed in Content Library and take up twice the amount of space?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,381

You won't see two entries in the content management system views (Smart Content, Prsets tabs, Product and Categories in the Content Library) but it will appear under both Daz Connect and the content directory you installed to in Daz Studio Formats and/or Poser Formats. The Central isntall will just be wasted space, DS will always use the Connect install.

• AshyneAshyne Posts: 18

Richard Haseltine said:

You won't see two entries in the content management system views (Smart Content, Prsets tabs, Product and Categories in the Content Library) but it will appear under both Daz Connect and the content directory you installed to in Daz Studio Formats and/or Poser Formats. The Central isntall will just be wasted space, DS will always use the Connect install.

Thank you, but how can I make it so that what I install in Daz Studio through Daz Connect also appears as Installed in Daz Central? Because I don't like that it says my content is not installed in Daz Central when they're already fully installed in Daz Studio through Daz Connect. 

Unfortunately Daz Central doesn't support that kind of filtering. Install Manager can do it, I think it's one of the supplied default filters, but it's generally best to stick to one method where possible - and as I said, you really don't want multiple instalaltions of the same files.

edited May 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

Unfortunately Daz Central doesn't support that kind of filtering. Install Manager can do it, I think it's one of the supplied default filters, but it's generally best to stick to one method where possible - and as I said, you really don't want multiple instalaltions of the same files.

You're definitely not interpreting my question correctly. I did not mention anything about filtering.

I also don't think my question is difficult to understand.

-------------------------

My content installed in Daz Studio directly through Daz Connect does not show up as being installed in Daz Central.

I just want my content to appear as being installed in Daz Central because it's already installed in Daz Studio/Connect but not registering as being installed in Daz Central.

I attached screenshot below.

On the left is my content seen in Smart Content Library in Daz Studio after installing through Daz Connect.

On the right is the same content seen in Daz Central.

As you can see, it says my content is not installed on Daz Central even though it's already installed in Daz Studio.

On the other hand, if I install my content through Daz Central instead of through Daz Connect, the content correctly shows up as being installed in both Daz Central and Daz Studio.

So this is also not a matter of wrong/different install directories. It seems Daz Central is not registering my Daz Connect installations at all.

What I want to know is why do Daz Studio installations (through Daz Connect) not synchronize with Daz Central and how can I make them synchronize?

Because the installations do sync when I install through Daz Central, but not sync when I install through Daz Connect. Why do they only sync when I install using one method and not the other?

111.png
    429 x 516 - 163K
    Post edited by Ashyne on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

bike_angel said:

So this is also not a matter of wrong/different install directories. It seems Daz Central is not registering my Daz Connect installations at all.

What I want to know is why do Daz Studio installations (through Daz Connect) not synchronize with Daz Central and how can I make them synchronize?

It is because DAZ Connect uses installation paths which DAZ Central cannot see. 

Filtering is what is required - separating the items that are installed via Connect from those which are not.

PerttiA said:

bike_angel said:

Thank you.

Is there any way that I or the developers can make Daz Central see the Daz Connect installation path?

Why are they separated in the first place?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

bike_angel said:

PerttiA said:

bike_angel said:

Thank you.

Is there any way that I or the developers can make Daz Central see the Daz Connect installation path?

That is a very good question, since quite a lot of problems surfacing here are related to DAZ Connect installing content to a location that no other installation method uses, it fails quite often and still has priority over all the other installation methods (DIM/DAZ Central/Manual installation)

1. DAZ Connect, as the name suggests can be used to connect to DAZ servers within DS
    2. DAZ Connect uses installation path with \Cloud\ in it
    3. Some years back DAZ tried to introduce encrypted content

I'm not connecting the obvious dots, but the reason for abandoning the traditional folder structure and placement of files can be read between the lines.

edited May 2021

PerttiA said:

bike_angel said:

PerttiA said:

bike_angel said:

Thank you.

That is a very good question, since quite a lot of problems surfacing here are related to DAZ Connect installing content to a location that no other installation method uses, it fails quite often and still has priority over all the other installation methods (DIM/DAZ Central/Manual installation)

1. DAZ Connect, as the name suggests can be used to connect to DAZ servers within DS

I'm not connecting the obvious dots, but the reason for abandoning the traditional folder structure and placement of files can be read between the lines.

So it seems the content downloaded through Daz Connect is installed into an encrypted folder stored on my PC but which only Daz Connect can access by connecting to the Daz Cloud. And this encrypted folder is what is preventing Daz Central from accessing and seeing the contents installed, therefore not allowing Daz Central to know the status of Daz Studio contents installed via Daz Connect.

I always install morphs/sliders/add-ons using Daz Central because they can't be installed via Daz Connect. However, I install all my figures/props/environments/clothes using Daz Connect.

Would you recommend that I install my figures/props/environments/clothes using Daz Central instead of Daz Connect? Are there any differences between these install methods for such products?

Post edited by Ashyne on

bike_angel said:

PerttiA said:

bike_angel said:

PerttiA said:

bike_angel said:

Thank you.

So it seems the content downloaded through Daz Connect is installed into an encrypted folder stored on my PC but which only Daz Connect can access by connecting to the Daz Cloud. And this encrypted folder is what is preventing Daz Central from accessing and seeing the contents installed, therefore not allowing Daz Central to know the status of Daz Studio contents installed via Daz Connect.

None of that is correct. The content is installed into /data/cloud/1_SKU/, where SKU is a unique identifier for each product - you can see it on the product page. The files are compressed but not, barring errors, encrypted. You do not need to be connecrtwed to Daz to use the content. Daz Central can't see the Connect instalaltion, and if there is a Connect isntalaltion DS will use that in preference to any other, but nothing is interferring with Daz Central itself. Daz Central simply doesn't have a way to know what is isntalled through Connect.

I always install morphs/sliders/add-ons using Daz Central because they can't be installed via Daz Connect. However, I install all my figures/props/environments/clothes using Daz Connect.

The only native Daz Studio content and tools that cannot be installed through Connect are plug-ins, and things that install like plug-ins (some older scripts and shaders that have to place files in the application folder) or content that needs access to other content in the same location (ExP morph expansions for Victoria 4, Michael 4 etc.). Some scripts will not work if installed through Connect, but that is down to the way the scipt is written.

Would you recommend that I install my figures/props/environments/clothes using Daz Central instead of Daz Connect? Are there any differences between these install methods for such products?

The big difference is Connect can see updates, when it goes on line, and can download just the updated files instead of the whole zip.

PerttiA said:

bike_angel said:

PerttiA said:

bike_angel said:

Thank you.

Connect has always worked that way, it does it to avoid cofmlicts when two products install the same file (e.g. a common texture such as wood or concrete that the PA may use in multiple products) - something that requires careful management in DIM (and Daz Central) and which can cause issues if there are manual installs. The folder is called cloud because it holds content downloaded from the cloud (a CDN), it doesn't mean the content is not locally stored (it wouldn't be practical to store content remotely). Yes, Daz brought in an encryption system to try to blocjk (rampant) piracy, but they could have done that just as well (possible issues with shared files aside) without using the separate folders.

Reading between the lines is making you see ghost text.

Richard Haseltine said:

bike_angel said:

PerttiA said:

bike_angel said:

PerttiA said:

bike_angel said:

Thank you.

None of that is correct. The content is installed into /data/cloud/1_SKU/, where SKU is a unique identifier for each product - you can see it on the product page. The files are compressed but not, barring errors, encrypted. You do not need to be connecrtwed to Daz to use the content. Daz Central can't see the Connect instalaltion, and if there is a Connect isntalaltion DS will use that in preference to any other, but nothing is interferring with Daz Central itself. Daz Central simply doesn't have a way to know what is isntalled through Connect.

The only native Daz Studio content and tools that cannot be installed through Connect are plug-ins, and things that install like plug-ins (some older scripts and shaders that have to place files in the application folder) or content that needs access to other content in the same location (ExP morph expansions for Victoria 4, Michael 4 etc.). Some scripts will not work if installed through Connect, but that is down to the way the scipt is written.

The big difference is Connect can see updates, when it goes on line, and can download just the updated files instead of the whole zip.

Thank you for explaining. It took a while, but you finally understood my question.