Converting Purchased Genesis 8.0 Characters to 8.1

I am trying to take advantage of as many of the 8.1 enhancements as possible with my purchased 8.0 characters. Here is what I am doing right now. I am sure that this doesn't take advantage of the PBR Skin enhancements, but I don't know what else I might be missing.

1) Load "Genesis 8.1 Basic Female" in empty scene

2) With 8.1 character selected, I double click an Actor for an 8.0 character

3) I choose "Apply this Character tot he currently selected Figure"

4) I then apply any materials such as eyes, lips, lashes, makeup, etc from the purchased character

So, when I follow this process, what am I missing from 8.1?

What would I need to do to get the things that I am missing?

Is there an automated way now to properly apply the new PBR shaders? Perhaps one of the Skin management packages?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,381

You wouldn't really be using any of the enhancements like that.

• poorman_65poorman_65 Posts: 140

Is there a good tutorial or tool for converting them? 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,381

poorman_65 said:

Is there a good tutorial or tool for converting them? 

To what end? You could use different eyes and lashes with the new set up from a different character, there would be no real point in switching to the new UVs as the conversion would add an extra stage of blurriness on top of the usual wrapping a texture around a model and rendering. The set you are using probably doesn't have all the maps needed for the new PBR Skin Shader.

edited May 2021

Ok! I am fine with just using the skins from the characters.  ... but am I at least getting the other enhancements the way I am doing it, such as the new expression capabilities?

Post edited by poorman_65 on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,908

Richard Haseltine said:

You wouldn't really be using any of the enhancements like that.

Except the enhanced expressions, arguably the most important improvement from 8.0 to 8.1!

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

What I do is load a blank G8.1 character, then apply the shaping morphs from a G8 character, and the materials.  It's faster.

Sevrin said:

What I do is load a blank G8.1 character, then apply the shaping morphs from a G8 character, and the materials.  It's faster.

Are you talking about applying the Body and Head sliders for the 8.0 characters, and then the materials? I had thought of that, but hadn't tested it that way yet. Do you get any addition 8.1 features by doing that way?

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

poorman_65 said:

Sevrin said:

Are you talking about applying the Body and Head sliders for the 8.0 characters, and then the materials? I had thought of that, but hadn't tested it that way yet. Do you get any addition 8.1 features by doing that way?

You get whatever features G8.1 has with the shape of the G8 figure.  The only thing on G8.1 that doesn't work with G8 character morphs are the eyelashes, because they're all different now.