I hope i didnt just waste 1000 dollery dos

Hello,

I just upgraded from my 10 year old cpu rendering setup and grabbed a Lenovo Legion with an RTX 3060 laptop gpu. It absolutely flew through some simple scenes i set up during the day, saying in the log that the GPU was being used. So i set up a more complicated scene to render through the night as i used to do. Unfortunately the laptop was asleep this morning even though i had told it not to sleep when plugged in. The render was still logging the hours that had passed, but neither cpu or gpu were doing anything during that time (zero fan noise when i came back to it). So thats a bit of a problem that i guess can be solved in power managemnet somewhere (im brand new to windows)?

My main concern now is that the task manager is showing that the GPU is hardly being used. Most of the time its running at 1% (with cpu at 17%) and will sometimes spike up to 30% before dropping down again. I have cpu deselected in the render advanced tab for photoreal mode and i have gpu selected, but i still have "allow cpu fall back" selected, surely it cant be that? Why am i never seeing the gpu or cpu for that matter, run at anything over 30%? I was hoping this machine would sit downstairs overnight, noisily powering through renders at 100% gpu.

I see in the forums that when people ask about gpu's not working the answer seems to that theyre running the wrong build. Could this be what is happening to me, and if so where do people find out exactly what cards run with what builds?

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,388

Task manager is not a good way to monitor GPU activity while rendering, at least in its default view. You need to tell it to display CUDA activity.

• globallyglobally Posts: 122

Leana said:

Task manager is not a good way to monitor GPU activity while rendering, at least in its default view. You need to tell it to display CUDA activity.

Thank you so much, we are at 100% all the time. Good to know. Now to just sort these power/sleep settings for next time.

• joegerardijoegerardi Posts: 226

Or, this little free program:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

..Joe