Genesis 8.1 outfits that list Genesis 8 shapes as supported

Hi Everyone

I've noticed that there is clothing appearing in the store that:

- Says it's compatible with Genesis 8.1 and not Generis 8.
 - Goes on to list a whole load ot G8 supported shapes.

It was easy enough to ignore until one of my favourite PAs realeased one of those products. I'd like it, but unfortunately, it's of no use to me if it can't be used with my very large collection of Genesis 8 characters.

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-shadow-cat-outfit-for-genesis-81-female

"Compatible Figures: Genesis 8.1 Female"
"Supported Shapes: Aiko 8..."

Does anyone have any experience of using these outfits on Genesis 8? What might I expect to happen if I attempt to use this outfit (or similar) on Aiko 8?

Thanks

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,198

If you just load it on G8 I think it will autofit.

If you load it without fitting it to anything, you can go to the burger menu Edit > Change Scene Identification to G8F, and then fit it normally to the G8 character.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,381

Genesis 8.1 Female can take the Aiko 8 character.

• AndrewJJPAndrewJJP Posts: 657

Thanks very much to both of you, I am very grateful.

What is confusing me a little is that I'd understood that v8 and v8.1 share the same geometry, therefore why 2 would the autofit not work (as Felis said)? And if it does work, then why not say that G8 is supported in the product's page? Saying it's only G8.1 would risk losing sales since many of us have not gone to 8.1 yet.

I think what you are saying Richard is that I can load an 8.1, then load an 8 character into him / her. In other words, Genesis 8 characters are comatible with Genesis 8.1. I tried it with Aiko 8 and a couple of other characters and saw no issues . Is the genrerally true that G8 characters can be applied to G8.1? If so, that would be a massive help to me - it's only expressions blocking the move to G8.1.

For some reason I thought the UV layout had changed which would cause problems around the seams but I have to say it looks fine.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,388

Yes, G8 characters will generally work on G8.1 (provided you use DS4.15+ so G8.1 can load G8 morphs). 
    G8.1 does include new UVs and new material zones, but it still includes the old UVs too. Regarding material zones, the main change is that the "torso" zone was split into "body" and "head". IIRC DS handles conversion automatically when you apply a G8 preset to G8.1.

Leana said:

Yes, G8 characters will generally work on G8.1 (provided you use DS4.15+ so G8.1 can load G8 morphs). 
    G8.1 does include new UVs and new material zones, but it still includes the old UVs too. Regarding material zones, the main change is that the "torso" zone was split into "body" and "head". IIRC DS handles conversion automatically when you apply a G8 preset to G8.1.

Thank you, that would explain it. I'm finding that the characters do definitely work without issue, although they take almost 10 minutes to load in on a top spec machine (latest i9 / 3090). Whether that's expected, I'm not sure, but the important thing is that once they have loaded, they work and the time doesn't really matter as I'm not doing it all that often.

Thanks once again

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

andrewpollard said:

Leana said:

Thank you, that would explain it. I'm finding that the characters do definitely work without issue, although they take almost 10 minutes to load in on a top spec machine (latest i9 / 3090). Whether that's expected, I'm not sure, but the important thing is that once they have loaded, they work and the time doesn't really matter as I'm not doing it all that often.

Thanks once again

I find it much faster to dial in the character then goto the folder and apply the textures.

Thanks, you are right, it's definitely faster!