Windows 10 Update kills Wifi

vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,656

(Not directly related to DAZ Studio, but directly related to my being able to purchase DAZ products over Wifi).

I have an Aurora R7 Desktop from Alienware. It has Killer Network adapters. I only bought this 2 years ago from Best Buy, specifically for DAZ Studio.

For the last year or so, when I have tried to update to the "new and improved" Windows 10 (version 20H2 I believe) it completely obliterates my Wifi access.

Windows suggests a network reset, and that does not fix the problem. The Killer Wifi device has an "X" next to it.

I have searched in vain on the internet for solutions and this is what I have tried:

1. Go to Device Manager < Network Adapters < Killer Wireless < Properties < Driver and then click Uninstall Device. The instructions say that after restarting your computer it should be fixed.

That did not work.

2. If step 1 does not fix the problem, then try reinstalling the Wifi driver from Dell product support located in the folder on the desktop.

That did not work.

3. Restore the previous version of Windows 10.

That works.

So I have come here to the DAZ Forums out of desperation!

I disabled Windows Update for now (again) but it only lets you "postpone" updates for about 1 month and then the whole update process I have to deal with again. It's like a merry-go-round.

I cannot call Dell because the PC is past the one year warranty. And obviously you cannot call Microsoft because why would they support any of their products?

So I'm actually thinking of saying goodbye to all things Alienware, and getting another PC to work with DAZ Studio. I'm so sick of this situation. Something without Killer Wireless adapters.

Has anyone else encountered this WiFi issue with the Windows 10 update?

I hate to buy a whole new PC at this point, but without WiFi there is not much I can do with DAZ Studio since I cannot purchase new products without Wifi.

Please, any help at all would be great. Even if it's just a recommendation on a new PC (not Alienware).

Thank you.

Post edited by vonHobo on

Comments