'Select All' Issue- I may have discovered why it does it!

dash2128dash2128 Posts: 674

A lot of work is (constantly) lost when the hated (by those it plagues, at least) 'select all' feature selects everything, and causes the computer to either freeze, or run so long that it has to be shut down.

After not being able to discover why the mouse was causing this, ...when it did it today, a small 'right-click' box appeared (for just and instant!- never had, before) with 'select all' at the top- highlighted!   

Perhaps this command- 'select all'- should NOT be placed at the top of the list!  Some benign command would be okay.  This might end the issue.

Can an update resolve this problem?  Place the 'Select All' command in a benign place?

That would be great, because I would really like this issue to just...go away!

5.JPG
389 x 613 - 51K
Post edited by dash2128 on

Comments

• dash2128dash2128 Posts: 674
    edited May 2021

Knowing what is probably causing it, doesn't help me stop the problem, however.

...other than the suggestion made above. 

I believe someone recently said they were experiencing a similar problem, though. 

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on

cridgit said:

To Select All you need to right click in the pane, move your mouse cursor over Select at the top of the menu, wait for the pop-up menu to open, move your mouse cursor over Select All at the top of the pop-up menu. It takes me 1-1.5 sec to do this intentionally, so I think its more likely related to a drag-select issue rather than a Select All issue.

I sometimes inadvertently select multiple items, or drag an item onto another item, because Studio can be a bit touchy w.r.t timing of mouse movements/clicks.My guess is this is also what's happening to you, not Select All due to the very deliberate steps required to Select All.

A 'drag-select' issue, that sounds correct.  Wish I could disable it- or 'select all', completely.  I've only required the feature, twice, and each time it didn't accomplish what I needed it.  But the endless times the software has cost me work, by 'selecting-all', when I didn't want it too....

You mentioned 'deliberate steps', that seems to be the issue, in my case.  It 'selects all' when I did not make deliberate steps to do so.  I wonder if others use the feature much, or if it's just in the way.  

• CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206

Only certain items are good for grouping, smart content is better used for grouping and then associating something to that group, old content has issues when grouping 5 items in the file tree and say parenting them to a part all at once. The select all issue happens every now and then probably because the scene is heavy and you did something in lag you held the button too long and lag grabbed it, when you depressed the button it was still enaged due to system slow down hence selecting all in a drag motion when you moved away at pace and it lag clicked everything on. This happens in gamming too when your system is suffering lag spikes due to internet speeds or your memory being used in excess.

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751

dash2128 said:

Knowing what is probably causing it, doesn't help me stop the problem, however.

...other than the suggestion made above. 

I believe someone recently said they were experiencing a similar problem, though. 

I imagine these things wil no longer happen once the UI version upgrade is complete (though a lot of other things will start to happen!).

edited June 2021

Cenobite said:

Only certain items are good for grouping, smart content is better used for grouping and then associating something to that group, old content has issues when grouping 5 items in the file tree and say parenting them to a part all at once. The select all issue happens every now and then probably because the scene is heavy and you did something in lag you held the button too long and lag grabbed it, when you depressed the button it was still enaged due to system slow down hence selecting all in a drag motion when you moved away at pace and it lag clicked everything on. This happens in gamming too when your system is suffering lag spikes due to internet speeds or your memory being used in excess.

Actually, that sounds logical.   ...like whatis happening.  ...wish it didn't, though.