iRay plugin version question

I have been painfully rendering with a 10 year old cpu for a few months now and i think i finally need to consider a new purchase.

I am looking to spend as little as possible as this machine will do nothing but Daz renders. A laptop would be good as i dont have a monitor or the space for much else.

In doing my research i have found a laptop that i can just about afford with a 4gb GTX 1650, but after looking up the performance in these here forums i see that it only has an entry for iRay RTX 19.1.3. Does this mean it will only work with that version of the iRay plugin? If so is it easy enough to switch to that version?

I know this isnt the biggest or best card, but itll be night and day compared to my current system that takes 6hrs to render the simplest of scenes.

Any feedback or suggestions for a cheap render machine would also be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,381

The 1650 should still be supported, but the 4GB of RAM is going to be very limiting.

• globallyglobally Posts: 122

Richard Haseltine said:

The 1650 should still be supported, but the 4GB of RAM is going to be very limiting.

Thanks Richard. Is there anyway to check supported cards? A quick google for that card didnt return much.

Well, i kinda had a moment of craziness and ive just ordered a lenovo legion with a 3060 and 6gb. Still not huge i know but i'm not looking for huge scenes and itll be a marked improvement on my current setup.

Just out of interest, what are some ballpark figures for scene sizes? Its very hard to find much info online. Like will a 6gb card be ok for one or two characters and an object filled single interior room?

• Joe2018Joe2018 Posts: 249

It would be great if you can report from your experiences with the lenovo. Because here (Germany) is a good offer for that at the moment.

In the past most of my renders work fine with a 6 GB GPU (Scenes with a few characters, background, etc.). But in other cases I can't render scenes with 6 GB GPU: example G8F with Cute Braids Hair would not render. With 8 GB GPU no Problems. And some things don't render even with 8 GB (some of RawArt Characters with the use of the hair. There are several Threads for that in the Forum).

(NS: at the Moment all GPU have 8 GB).