Black Eyes/Location problem current state of things

Has any solution been found for the black eyes situation in Genesis 8 that we have when the character is away from the center of the scene? Moving the geometry in G8's eyes only works partially, a solution I tried with a morph found on ShareCG. It can be really annoying, especially when the scene product you use comes with very handy relocation poses over a large area (Snorkel Island by PW Production for example) and you can't even use those because of the eye issue. I noticed that the same problem happens if you use some of the geoshell wetness/sweat/sunscreen available in well known stores. Black patches all over... Moving the shells manually isn't exactly a solution in itself, it's poek-and-guess work at best.

Comments

• SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481

Personally, I like to make a group that includes every item in the scene and then move the whole thing so that the figure in question is at 0,0,0.

• That's what I have had to do so far. Yet, in the case of products including located poses, the XYZ coordinates are not relative to the decor but to the world itself. So if you move the whole scene, when you use thes elocated poses they will not match the right spot. Altogether, this is a bit like the "how many idiots do you need to changer a lightbulb? One to hold the lightbulb and four to spin the house" joke. You need to move the house to fix the problem and that is so wrong :)

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,516
    edited May 2021

The complete solution lies with using double precision floating point numbers in iRay. Not something DAZ has any control over, so DAZ cannot fix it themselves. It may even need a hardware change to fix for all the current nVidia GPU's

I have had encountered a different manifestation of the same problem with a freebie Athletic Ground I have offered. It's possible to see the flat ground co-ordinates at the 200m start (100m start = origin) be rounded so the ground seems to undulate by about 3cm at that distance from the origin. It is frustrating to run out of significant digits, but there is absolutely nothing I can do to fix it.

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • So basically Iray itself needs fixing. Now that's quite annoying ^^;

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

Yeah, I have heard the same complain from other things that also use iray. It's for sure not a DS only thing.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,516

So basically Iray itself needs fixing. Now that's quite annoying ^^;

Can't agree with you more.

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822
    Set "Instancing Optimization" to either "Speed" or "Memory" to fix it. Beware, "Speed" disables instancing completely, so don't try and render anything with 8,000 grass instances or your computer will explode.
  • AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434

TheKD said:

Yeah, I have heard the same complain from other things that also use iray. It's for sure not a DS only thing.

OK - already an eternity ago (since DAZ included iRay the first time) I detected a serious issue with the ray calculation related to refraction. The DAZ team swears it not being their problem (possible interface DAZ <-> iRay problem).
    So, what can we do to get our issues solved? How to address these to the iRay resposible developers?
    That time I tried to address it in the iRay community. But no reaction so far.

It doesn't help to lament over here. We have to act together!
    Who knows a responsible to contact?

Andy