Fast running out of drive space (what can i move?)

My 1TB SSD is full... i've moved all movie files (located in the general folder) to an external drive but what else can i move from my library without effecting the performance of daz?

I use install manager and have always downloaded whatever files it provides including poser files which i have never used... can i get rid of them?

when i do eventually add another drive is it straight forward to split my library up and still retain all the functionally without compromise?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,364

SolitarySandpiper said:

My 1TB SSD is full... i've moved all movie files (located in the general folder) to an external drive but what else can i move from my library without effecting the performance of daz?

disc speed makes relatively little difference to most things.

I use install manager and have always downloaded whatever files it provides including poser files which i have never used... can i get rid of them?

You may not need the Poser files - it depends whether there is a full Daz Studio version, or just a set of material presets (DS CF - Daz studio Companion Files - usually).

when i do eventually add another drive is it straight forward to split my library up and still retain all the functionally without compromise?

Daz Studio doesn't care where your content directories are, or what you call them, as long as you tell it where to find them. Install manager does need to know exactly where the files are, but if you change the folder to which it installs and if you kept the zips you can select some or all of the products in the installed tab and use the right-click menu to reinstall Using Current Path.

Thanks in advance.

• Wallace3DWallace3D Posts: 166
    edited May 2021

OPINION:

I no longer use DIM and take FULL advantage of the DAZ SMART CONTENT tab.

it gives me a great visual of my files, what needs updated, what is installed and what is available to install

the tab allows you to manage your content and only have installed what you need for a project and when you are done with the project you can uninstall the product.

When you open an older Project the file will detect that you dont have a specific Product installed. one click of a button to reinstall the product for your project.

I find this works best for me and maybe could work for you.  ALSO

DIM tends to Double install Products. one for the Runtime and one for the content Data which then doubles the amount of space used.  when using the DAZ SMART Content it will only install the product in the Content Data Directory.

This is only good if you are a DAZ purist like myself 

OH and I forgot to add.. The installer files also take up space that are loaded from DIM

Post edited by Wallace3D on
  • Thank you Richard...

i notice that occasionally products have a DS file and a Ps file of a similar size, i was wondering if i could uninstall and delete the Ps files without effecting the DS files?

When i do add a new drive can i leave everything as is and instruct DIM to install all future content to a directory created on the new drive?

again thanks.

• Wallace3D said:

OPINION:

I no longer use DIM and take FULL advantage of the DAZ SMART CONTENT tab.

it gives me a great visual of my files, what needs updated, what is installed and what is available to install

the tab allows you to manage your content and only have installed what you need for a project and when you are done with the project you can uninstall the product.

When you open an older Project the file will detect that you dont have a specific Product installed. one click of a button to reinstall the product for your project.

I find this works best for me and maybe could work for you.  ALSO

DIM tends to Double install Products. one for the Runtime and one for the content Data which then doubles the amount of space used.  when using the DAZ SMART Content it will only install the product in the Content Data Directory.

This is only good if you are a DAZ purist like myself 

OH and I forgot to add.. The installer files also take up space that are loaded from DIM

thats sounds pretty cool but i'd be more comforrtable having all my content on my drive.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

DIM does not double install.  Some products may have both a Studio format and a Poser format so id DIM is set to download both formats you will get a duplication of some files.  Connect was the source of a serious database corruption problem not long ago so I will never trust it or let Studio log-in.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014
    edited May 2021

jestmart said:

DIM does not double install.  Some products may have both a Studio format and a Poser format so id DIM is set to download both formats you will get a duplication of some files.  Connect was the source of a serious database corruption problem not long ago so I will never trust it or let Studio log-in.

+1

One of the reasons I do manual installation only, is that it gives ME the TOTAL control over where stuff is installed.

In general and to start with, it is a bad idea to install any content to C drive, it will get filled up sooner or later and when the smelly stuff hits the fan, where is the problem... On the C drive.

There are two ways to move the actual files to an other drive without changing any settings in DS and/or the installers and without compromising the working of DS and/or the function of the database.

1. Get an other drive and mount it to your DAZ Content folder, making it effectively a folder within your C drive. (no 3rd party tools needed)
    2. Use Sysinternals Junction to move the folders to other drives https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/junction

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,364

SolitarySandpiper said:

Thank you Richard...

i notice that occasionally products have a DS file and a Ps file of a similar size, i was wondering if i could uninstall and delete the Ps files without effecting the DS files?

Usually, yes. Sometimes the DS files will be materials only but will have their own maps (in error, or because they have 16 bit displacement maps which Poser couldn't use in the past). so it isn't wholly reliable. Look for CF or Companion in the DS filename, that indicates that the Poser version is needed too.

When i do add a new drive can i leave everything as is and instruct DIM to install all future content to a directory created on the new drive?

Yes, and tell DS to use the new drive too.

again thanks.

• Just noticed that the lack of space is effecting photoshop's scratch disk so i've freed up 9GB clearing out the poser files giving me 20GB total to play with... got a rendo library i could move also.

• Richard Haseltine said:

SolitarySandpiper said:

again thanks.

Got a new drive coming tomorrow... do i create a new path in DIM>advanced settings>installation? and if so do i remove the other paths? 

Thank you

• SolitarySandpiper said:

Richard Haseltine said:

SolitarySandpiper said:

again thanks.

Got a new drive coming tomorrow... do i create a new path in DIM>advanced settings>installation? and if so do i remove the other paths? 

Thank you

Add a new path or edit/remove the old - it's up to you, depending on whether you might want to install things to the old location sometimes (e.g. to keep a small group of core files in one place and the add-ons in another, so you can switch to a lean content structure on occasion).

• Richard Haseltine said:

SolitarySandpiper said:

Richard Haseltine said:

SolitarySandpiper said:

again thanks.

Thank you

Add a new path or edit/remove the old - it's up to you, depending on whether you might want to install things to the old location sometimes (e.g. to keep a small group of core files in one place and the add-ons in another, so you can switch to a lean content structure on occasion).

Thank you Richard this whole process has presented some interesting options.