GPU switching

I know that some people will dedicate their big badass GPU to rendering strictly, while a second, more run-of-the-mill  video card handles monitor display. I also know that some (if their CPU has that feature) will run their monitor on the integrated Intel HD Graphics chip... but here's the thing. That big bad boy GPU we use for render also handles gaming for some of us and that means that if we want to switch to game mode we have to replug the monitor to Mr RTX. I am not in favor of constantly unplugging/replugging as this can lead to progressive damage to the sockets. Look at what happens with tablets and phones... even if it takes longer, it might still happen. Also, it's quite a bore. So... here comes the question.

There are physical devices for switching what monitor a PC uses and it's also true for printers, keyboards or mice. Why not a device which allows you to switch GPU inputs to a monitor at the flick of a button or the click of your mouse?Of course you would need to change your settings in Windows and Daz but hat is painless. If such a gizmo exist, please someone point me to it? 

Comments

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,588

Don't the KVM switches you mention do exacty what you're asking?

...and monitors themselves can switch their ports, though that's often through an inconvenient menu.

• The KVM's that I know can switch to which monitor a GPU will send its output but are there any which can switch the inputs to one goven monitor?

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,588
    edited May 2021

I'd still look at the monitor menu as first choice, but here's a kvm 2 inputs to one monitor. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B083TC68VQ/

This one is HDMI 4K-30, I expect you would want 4k-60 for gaming.

Post edited by prixat on