December Contest Thread "Holiday Renders" (WIP Thread)

13»

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Don't forget

Today is the last day so remember to transfer your entry over to the entries only thread if you haven't already done it.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Latest version. Since today is the last day for the contest I am entering this version.

Any comments/suggestions on improving the image are still welcome.

Good luck everyone.

Santa_Was_Here.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 488K
  • yhzmurphyyhzmurphy Posts: 434
    edited December 1969

Just posted my just-rendered entry in the entries thread. Didn't have time to post the last version here...let's just say if you corrupt your .duf file for your scene, it's best to start over instead of spending nights trying to edit it (yes, you can unzip them and edit the JSON directly apparently, but in a complex scene that's one huge JSON file).

One piece of software I discovered that really helped my renders not drag on: Temple Run 2 on my iPhone :-) May as well as be distracted while the PC is pegged at 100% CPU across all 8 threads...

Thank-you to everyone for the encouragement and help. Hope you all have a Happy and Safe New Year!

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,650
    edited December 1969

Good luck everyone. May your New Year be blessed, rich and full of wonderful things.

Love the "donkey" smurph9. I am so glad you added it.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

So as a post mortem on the experience of this:

Main thing I learned was to compose to the target size. The 800px size is very limiting and really better used with a scene that's a single image or centered action rather than the more spread out scene I did across the 16:9 landscape. That ratio also is important to keep in mind as 16:9 is a lot smaller than say 4:3 or even 1:1 with the same longest side. (Ironically the picture I did for the Daz Mag contest would have worked just fine for this limitation here, while the one I did for here would go great there..so live and learn).

Also, again on the size, I spent a lot of time on details that just really won't be noticed in the small scale (the original is over 4x the size :red:), so stuff like the fog on the window from the coffee maker, the writing on the computer and tablets, the schematics on the wall, could have had less time devoted to them to be used elsewhere (On the plus side, I was very pleased with how I figured out to do the fog and the schematics, so I can use those techniques again down the road....and hopefully folks will check out my dA page to see the full size when i post it after the contest wraps).

I DID eventually get across my head to not worry about posing things that won't be seen by the camera...I did a bunch of books stacked and falling off the back of the desk, that looked good, but can't be seen, but I used what I learned with that to do other things with the books elsewhere, which did lead to revisiting the books on the desk with the newer method that worked well (a good thing as the program crashed 3 times while I was setting them up).

And I continued feeling more comfortable using the program and getting things looking like I want, so yay!!!