Parts of character rendering black from a distance

Hey all

I'm putzing around with an animation, but parts of the character are rendering black from a distance. As the camera gets closer to the G8F, the effect goes away. It looks like it may have to do with a plane intersecting her body, but the planes from the godray are mostly transparent. 

Anyone know why this only affects the render from a certain distance and how to fix it? 

You can see the difference between the two pics I shared

Thanks

test1.png
900 x 600 - 519K
test2.png
900 x 600 - 665K

Comments

• OVDOVD Posts: 253

I've been tinkering with this trying to figure out what's wrong. 

It's not an intersecting plane. 

I can have a camera close to the figure and it will render with the same weird black sections, but then if I turn the godray spotlight off and back on again, it will render properly. But then if I change the frame that the animation is on, it will go back to rendering the black sections. 

More confused than ever on this. :/ 

• Wallace3DWallace3D Posts: 166
    edited May 2021

How close to the center of the world is the character 

I have had issues with this the farther away the character is from the center of the world

Post edited by Wallace3D on

Wallace3D said:

How close to the center of the world is the character 

I have had issues with this the farther away the character is from the center of the world

I'd had the same thought. Originally the center of the scene was equidistant from both the character and the camera, so not very far at all. Moving the scene didn't make a difference. 

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

Whenever you see weird Z-fighting or body parts changing colors, the first thing to do is change "Instance Optimization". That usually fixes it. If that doesn't work, then you may have to change geometry shell offsets or whatever is intersecting with the mesh.

margrave said:

Whenever you see weird Z-fighting or body parts changing colors, the first thing to do is change "Instance Optimization". That usually fixes it. If that doesn't work, then you may have to change geometry shell offsets or whatever is intersecting with the mesh.

That did it, thanks! Set it to "speed" and it fixed it. Looks like it was a problem with a geometry shell. 

Thanks again!