This hair makes Daz Studio very slow

Hi guys, I just got an issue with Messy Pixie Cut Hair for Genesis 8 Female. As soon as I added it to the character, it will be very slow to even move a finger of the character. But if I change its "fit to" from the character to None, everything will be fast and snappy.

I think it might have something to do with smooth, collision or something, but I tried disabling all these and nothing works. The only thing that works is to change "fit to" to none.

Any help please? Thanks a lot!

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

You can parent it to the head without fitting it.  It might be a little tricky to position, but it won't cause the issue due to fitting.

• joegerardijoegerardi Posts: 226

Yeah. I put in a ticket on it. As is typical, DAZ can't fix it. Their best guess was "Try Studio 4.15."

It uses 3 Gigs of RAM when loaded. Add that to your character and it gets quite system intensive.

..Joe

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822
    It's fibermesh hair, and more than that it's unusually long fibermesh hair. For hair that long, strand-based would be a more appropriate way to do it. Basically, it's lagging because of how dense the mesh is. Try looking for options on how to lower the geometry density, or failing that just hide it until it's time to render.
  • onyxlee_9b3cce7f35onyxlee_9b3cce7f35 Posts: 70
    edited May 2021

Thank you guys. I am having all these problems using Daz 4.15.

I know fibermesh is a word for ZBrush. Margrave, do you mean "strand based hair"? Even if I hide the whole hair in the scene manager without rendering it, it's still very laggy.

What's the quickest way to hide the strand based hair and disable it's collision? I can't find the settings in simulation or object parameter tab.

[Update]

I just found out that, once you selected the hair, in its parameter panel, under the Simulation tab, just turn off "Generate PS Hairs", the rest of the options are irrelevant. Then all the strand-based hair will be gone. Switch it on before you render.

There is also a tool/script under the product: "Preview Off". It says "Turn off preview for easier use". Select the hair and double click this item, it will also switch off the PS hairs, the same as above.

I found this in the forum.

PS and PR: ps is 'simulated,' pr is 'rendered.' You can have either or both render, simulation will only affect PS while PR follows along on render.

PS/PR Generated Hair Scale: changes overall size of hairs. Can be mapped to change where the fur is close/finer to the body vs longer

Reduced length: this essentially clips hair shorter, without changing the overall shape of it.

Interpolation Segment Length: how long each segment of hair is. Basically, decreasing the length increase the number of points a hair is articulated with. Note that this, obviously, increases the load a hair represents.

Hairs Density: Extra hairs per cm2. You can look up references. Obviously, realistic hair counts are often impossible (I think otters are like hundreds of thousands per cm2 or something crazy).

Tesselation, on the hair object's Parameters: how many sides each hair has. 1 is essentially a single surface. Again, this increases load, so the less the better.

Line Width: fairly obvious. Realistic hair is .2 or so to .1 at tip. If you can get away with higher values of width and lower hair counts, the better. You may want to tweak renders so that stuff at medium/far length is less realistic (fatter, fewer hairs).

Post edited by onyxlee_9b3cce7f35 on
  • margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

Fibermesh hair and strand-based hair are similar. Both model the hair as actual meshes, rather than use haircards and transparency like the vast majority of Daz hair products.

Fibermesh hair is only good for very short hair, because Daz needs to keep all that mesh geometry in memory. Strand-based hair defers the memory usage to when you render, avoiding the viewport lag you're experiencing.