Need help with Iray hair artifacts on rendering

I really need help with this strange problem.  I'm trying to render promos for my character in Iray and this is driving me mad! Hair is Matilda Hair for G8, but i've encountered this same thing with a few different hairs in different scenes with different lighting, etc.  Never encountered this before in all the years I've been using Daz Studio.  I'm using DS 4.15 Pro, with the latest updates (not Public Beta), and 2 Nvidia GForce 780 GTX Ti, 3072 MB each (yes, I know they are ancient by today's standards, my PC is soooo oooold) on Windows 10.  I don't have problems rendering anything else, so far, except certain hairs.  The pic attached was after 47 minutes at 93% completed.  Hope someone can suggest a fix for me soon.

Hair artifacts.png
280 x 323 - 169K
Render settings with hair artefacts.jpg
524 x 615 - 194K

Comments

• PhatmartinoPhatmartino Posts: 287

@Cymbidium I mentioned this recently to another that had a similar looking problem with hair in their render... You could try looking at the Hair's Surfaces (probably everything but the Scalp/Cap), and see if there's an SSS Amount Parameter. If there is, try setting it to Zero just to at least see if it's the same problem...

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,317
    edited May 2021

It's a bug in the latest version of Iray. Read about it here (including what to do to fix it):
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/477741/some-hair-has-extremely-low-render-quality

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • CymbidiumCymbidium Posts: 213

Thank you both for your comments.  I will try the SSS fix, if there is a value for it, phatmartino.  I'm going to look at the link you provided MelanieL. :)

The SSS fix worked, no more artifacts!  Thanks so much for helping me with this, both of you.  The link to the other forum posts was very helpful. :)  I do hope they fix all the bugs when they finally update DS 4.15 again!

• PhatmartinoPhatmartino Posts: 287

Not ideal to have to change intended Surface Settings, but glad that works for now! Agreed, there's a few bugs I'd really like to see fixed in the next update.

I'm just relieved and glad that it wasn't anything more serious and hard to fix! Now I can get on with my rendering. :)