HDRI usage

Hi! I feel really silly for having to ask. I've googled and poked at my render till I can't process anymore. 

Can someone please tell me how to use the HDRIs I've bought? 

I'm using the most recent version of Daz. 

Max

Comments

• AnimAnim Posts: 241
    Can someone please tell me how to use the HDRIs I've bought? 

Have you bought a HDRI product from the DAZ store or HDRIs from another source and stored them somewhere on your harddisk?

• AnimAnim Posts: 241
    edited May 2021

HDRIs go into the Environment.

It might happen that a scene does not have this Environment by default.

In that case go to [Create] -> [New Environment Options Node...]

While you are at it also create a tonemapper node in case it is not there: [Create] -> [New Tonemapper Options Node...]

Once you have the Environment Node you can load the HDR image there.

The Tonemapper node is there to adjust the overall light level in your scene without changing the individual lights intensities etc. If you increase the Exposure Value everything gets darker. You might need this because some HDR images can be very bright.

More information about Environment and its various settings can be found here:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6563626/

Env-Tonemapping_01.png
    1064 x 511 - 106K
    Env-Tonemapping_02.png
    1780 x 621 - 264K
    Post edited by Anim on
  • y3kmany3kman Posts: 765

Most of the HDRIs sold here at DAZ have DUF links. If you're using smart content, go to the Products->Render-Settings. Your products with HDRIs should be listed there.

• Hi! I have bough HDRI products from daz. They are tagged as render. In a new file, I click on them and they add the environment item, but the render is not at all what I had hoped for. 

Thank you very much for helping me learn to do this. I'm sure once I get it I'll be like facepalming that it wasn't obvious. 

• Oh I played with that a setting and I might actually have something! 

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,382

Some of the store's HDRIs require you to manually create the Environmental and Tone Mapping nodes before they show up. Make sure that they are there in the Render Editor tab before and after you apply the HDRI.