Permanent Black Line on Gou Luk G8F Thumb

AshyneAshyne Posts: 18

Hello.

There is a permanent black line on the thumb of my Gou Luk G8F's left hand that appears when rendering (in Iray).

It looks like a skin texture glitch and not naturally supposed to be there.

I have tried all sorts of lights, light settings, and am also using the default settings for the Figure (just loaded it in, nothing adjusted/changed/modified).

I tried loading 6 other G8Fs' Skin Materials on my Gou Luk Figure and none of them have this black line appearing here except for the Gou Luk Figure's default skin.

This black line has been present from the moment I bought and started using this Figure.

I would like to know if this is a problem with the Figure's Skin Material design itself, or there is something wrong with my Daz Studio, and if it can be fixed.

I hope the creator can also advise me on this.

Thank you.

GouLuk Line Problem.png
675 x 654 - 612K
Post edited by Ashyne on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,198
    edited May 2021

In fact, yes.

If you look at the normal map you can see that there is an error.

I would advise to open a ticket.

GouLuk_thumb.PNG
    713 x 600 - 396K
    Post edited by felis on
  • AshyneAshyne Posts: 18

felis said:

In fact, yes.

Hello, thank you. Where did you get that picture in your attachment from? 

• felisfelis Posts: 4,198

bike_angel said:

felis said:

In fact, yes.

The picture is a screenshot of a part of the normal map for the arms. If you select the character, and then open surfaces, and in surfaces expand till you find the arms (as the hands belongs under arms) you will find all the surface settings for that area.

I suspected it was a normal map issue, so I tried to turn down normal stength and saw it dissappeared. Then I opened the normal map in a image editor and when zoomed in on the hand it was clear.

edited May 2021

felis said:

bike_angel said:

felis said:

In fact, yes.

The picture is a screenshot of a part of the normal map for the arms. If you select the character, and then open surfaces, and in surfaces expand till you find the arms (as the hands belongs under arms) you will find all the surface settings for that area.

I suspected it was a normal map issue, so I tried to turn down normal stength and saw it dissappeared. Then I opened the normal map in a image editor and when zoomed in on the hand it was clear.

Oh it works, thanks! But the problem is that it affects (weakens) the normals of all the other parts of the arms as well. I just want this part gone so I don't have to clean it every time in a photo-editing program. Hope the creator updates this.

Post edited by Ashyne on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,381

Please don't post full texture maps.

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

bike_angel said:

Oh it works, thanks! But the problem is that it affects (weakens) the normals of all the other parts of the arms as well. I just want this part gone so I don't have to clean it every time in a photo-editing program. Hope the creator updates this.

It looks like the creator had a stray vertex floating out in space when they baked the normal map. Unless they still have the original files, and are willing to rebake a new normal map, then I don't think it can be fixed.

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,070

It seems there is another one in the pinky finger as well (of the same hand). I've used the model but I never rendered a closeup of the hands, so I also didn't notice. At any rate, I cloned those details out with photoshop as a quick fix. I'm sharing only the fix here, in case anyone needs them ASAP and wants to use them. Simply download this image and, in an image editor, drop it on top of the original map (called: TeenGao ArmsN 1001, which you'll find in runtime > textures > rarestone > Teen Gao).

I haven't tested to see how it looks, though. The nails are a bit funky.

TeenGao ArmsN 1001 - Fix.png
    4096 x 4096 - 244K

Great News!

After submitting a ticket and reporting this, the creator has fixed the normal map and the black line glitch is gone!

fixed.png
    847 x 650 - 633K