Can't for the life of me get the fur/hair to work on the Dire Wolf...

ShortlegDoggoShortlegDoggo Posts: 117

I've found a few threads with other people having the same problem, but the solutions haven't worked for me so far.

I do have Daz Dog 8 which is a required product for the Dire Wolf.

I'm fairly rusty with Daz so it's probably my fault, but, who knows.

The Dire Wolf uses dforce hair, not LAMH (which I do have as well). When I load the dire wolf into the scene, the hair guides are not lined up with the body right off the bat. Not sure if that's related or not. The issue is that when I add the "wearable" fur to the dire wolf (it's a "hair" item), it's still bald. It's bald no matter what I do. I know dforce hair doesn't like to render in the viewport, but even when I do an actual render, there's no fur/hair (image on the right). I have also tried simulating the hair before rendering. No luck.

I'm pretty confused, and not sure what to do.

Any help would be much appreciated!

dire wolf.png
770 x 704 - 385K
Post edited by ShortlegDoggo on

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,441
    edited May 2021

Are you loading the Dire Wolf actor, or the DAZ Dog 8 actor and then adding the dForce Hair wearable? In the first case, you get the fur pre-loaded, no need to add it again, in the second, make sure the dog/wolf is selected before loading the wearable.

dForce hair can be previewed in Iray mode, but you have to set some parameters first. There are four sets of guide hairs to select in the scene tab. If you want to see the fur in Iray Preview, set Preview PR Hairs ON, and Viewport Line Tesselation to at least 2. For renders, you can leave the PR Hairs OFF, and Render Line Tesselation set to at least 1. It is quite a memory load, so be patient.

Semi OT: note that the Dire Wolf morph is zeroed out on the Dire Wolf actor preset, at least for me, so I have to dial it in. Much bigger...

Note: the product was updated in early March, 2021. I can't recall what it was like before.

Post edited by NorthOf45 on
  • ShortlegDoggoShortlegDoggo Posts: 117

NorthOf45 said:

Are you loading the Dire Wolf actor, or the DAZ Dog 8 actor and then adding the dForce Hair wearable? In the first case, you get the fur pre-loaded, no need to add it again, in the second, make sure the dog/wolf is selected before loading the wearable.

dForce hair can be previewed in Iray mode, but you have to set some parameters first. There are four sets of guide hairs to select in the scene tab. If you want to see the fur in Iray Preview, set Preview PR Hairs ON, and Viewport Line Tesselation to at least 2. For renders, you can leave the PR Hairs OFF, and Render Line Tesselation set to at least 1. It is quite a memory load, so be patient.

Semi OT: note that the Dire Wolf morph is zeroed out on the Dire Wolf actor preset, at least for me, so I have to dial it in. Much bigger...

Note: the product was updated in early March, 2021. I can't recall what it was like before.

Thank you so much for your help. I sincerely appreciate it. It's working now. THANK YOU!!!

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,441

yes