Clothing creation & dforce

I was hoping someone could help me with something. I created a t-shirt in marvelous designer, and have used the transfer utility on the t-shirt/g8 female figure. I tried dforcing said t-shirt with self collode off, the problem is:

1. It takes forever to do anything with dforce/t-shirt (and it doesn;t with any other clothing)

2. After after it gets to 2% it blows up

can anyone provide any solutions?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,381
    edited April 2021

Do you get lots of spring length warnings at the beginning of the simulation? Is the mesh double-sided (an inner and an outer layer)?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • JoJoSJoJoS Posts: 50

I did get a lot og spring length warnings! As for the mesh I don't think so I just followed a tutorial so I can't be sure on that one

• I think the issue is that the mesh is too dense - the springs are the edge lengths between vertices, if you are getting a lot then it means a lot of thee dges in the model are under 2mm apart. This can lead to explosions as the simulation is having to stretch the edges to maintain the minimum separation, but that emans they have added energy which the simulation then tries to diffuse across the mesh. You  can adjust the minimum displacement offset in the Surfaces pane, but it would probably be better to have fewer, larger polygons. Try exporting with a lower mesh density.

• Richard,

Can I ask what is the ideal 'aimed for' facet edge length, then? 10-12mm (1-1.2cm)? Seems I have seen a few smaller than this, but not too often. Maybe 20mm (2cm) as that seems to work quite well with Arryn/Onnel's garments, and it simulates quite quickly.

Regards

Richard

• JoJoSJoJoS Posts: 50

Thank you for your reply, is my best bet to retopologize my mesh would you say?

• It probably depends on the fabric type, but yes for a lot of things that seems reasonable.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

JoJoS said:

Thank you for your reply, is my best bet to retopologize my mesh would you say?

One thing to do would be to look at the mesh of a similar garment that simulates as well and as quickly as you would like yours to.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,893
    Try a particle distance of 10 in MD. Quadrangulate the mesh in MD before exporting. Export as thin and welded.