Using a separate computer for rendering - advice?

Hi guys,

I'm looking into setting up a separate rig for rendering scenes so I can continue working on my current rig while the other is working. How would I go about setting that up?

Would it be two instances of Daz Studio that share a library? Or is there a more streamlined possibility?

Does anyone have any experience with this? 

Thanks

Comments

• edited April 2021

I've did it with mulitple computers sharing 1 runtime drive. But setting it up was very annoying when it came to loading assets from saved files. Because files looked for specific paths. When investagating I found that my Slashes in my path \ / will be point in different directions because one computer was looking for files from something on a local computer over a network. Using the runtime folder worked fine over the network though. This problem was mainly saving files and openning them back up.

I think it could be resolved if both computer accessed a network path. This way when files are saved the path to the files are always the same so long as you use the same drive letter for the mapped drive on all computers.

Also you're going to have to change the path to the CMS directory on the remote machines if you decide to use Smart Content.

==================================================================

1 - So what you should do is probably get a Router with a USB port and attach a removable storage to it (FYI loading stuff might be slow). You can also get yourself a NAS. 

2 - From there map the drive to all your PC's, try to use the same drive letter on all machines.

3 - Then install Daz and point the Content to the remote drive(s). Don't forget to point your Daz Install Manager to the remote drive(s) also.

4 - You should be able to use all your content on all you computers from there.

5 - So now that all you computers are pointing to the same map location the program should have no problem assuming where the files are located when you save because it would be pointing to the same place on all computers.

6 - After doing that. I recommend installing Teamviewer or using Remote desktop so you can remote into the other machines so you dont' have to get up to do anything on the other machines.

That should work. 

Post edited by marksinister_0f3a44cacc on
  • Wow Mark, thanks so much for the detailed and instructive answer. 

When my parts arrive I'll proceed exactly as you advise.

Thanks so much again

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

One caution that I encountered when try to use D|S or other graphics-heavy apps across my network (especially with something like Teamviewer) is that the response time is (or at least it was) dreadfully slow. I recall some mentioning that they found a more responsive app for network access, but since my other computers are nearby I just spin around in my chair and access them directly.