'Select all' issues- anyone else having them?

Hello, this rarely happened, until recently, where it happens frequently, now.

When I click on a figure (or prop, ect...), the software 'selects all', unless I am VERY careful.  It used to not be so finicky, before the updates.

...and my computer freezes, when 'select all' is activated.  ...a considerable amount of work and time are lost, when this happens, and it does it a lot, now. 

Is there a way to disengage 'select all', so that this feature can be turned off?      

Comments

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

Yeah, now that you mention it, it does seem that when I'm working in the Scene tab/Outliner/whatever you call it, suddenly it will select a whole bunch of stuff. I just figured I did a weird key/mouse press combination. But I never got the freezing problem you mention. And it usually doesn't select all in the scene.

You've got me thinking...there's an option to Clear Selection, and I'm thinking to just map that to a keyboard shortcut.

BTW, if you right click on the scene list there's a ton of selection options that I use all the time. Especially Select Children. Though I don't recall there being an option to turn off Select All.  

• I have this issue sometimes, and have reported it long since. Unfortunately it is, I suspect, one of those things that is really hard to track down.

• PhatmartinoPhatmartino Posts: 287
    edited April 2021

This happens to me a lot and has for a while now. Even more often, I experience whatever was selected inexplicably becoming parented to whatever I select next, as though I dragged the first node to the new selection. I assumed it had to do with mouse sensitivity in some way or just my own mouse sloppiness...

Either way, It's forced me into particular habits like making sure to have the Scene Tab set up (if at all possible) in a way where there's always at least a little empty space below all the Nodes for me to click in to unselect whatever might be currently selected, before making my next selection. Or in a Node heavy scene where that's not possible, I'll have some large parts (Walls or even an entire Grouped Set/Environment), "unchecked" in the Scene Tab so that they aren't selectable in the Viewport, then I'll click on those areas in the Viewport in order to do any kind of "unselecting".

Post edited by Phatmartino on
  • CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206
    edited April 2021

dash2128 said:

When I click on a figure (or prop, ect...), the software 'selects all', unless I am VERY careful.  It used to not be so finicky, before the updates.

...and my computer freezes, when 'select all' is activated.  ...a considerable amount of work and time are lost, when this happens, and it does it a lot, now. 

Is there a way to disengage 'select all', so that this feature can be turned off?      

This happens sometimes to me aswell, i'll click something in the scene file tree and everything highlights and when i click off it to say the viewport it then hides something on the model or a bunch of things like it's highlighted them to hide, i have had to unhide body parts due to this select all thing happening,, strange it just randomly happens sometimes and is down right annoying.

Mod Edit  to remove new text from within the quote box

Post edited by Chohole on
  • dash2128dash2128 Posts: 674

ebergerly said:

Yeah, now that you mention it, it does seem that when I'm working in the Scene tab/Outliner/whatever you call it, suddenly it will select a whole bunch of stuff. I just figured I did a weird key/mouse press combination. But I never got the freezing problem you mention. And it usually doesn't select all in the scene.

You've got me thinking...there's an option to Clear Selection, and I'm thinking to just map that to a keyboard shortcut.

BTW, if you right click on the scene list there's a ton of selection options that I use all the time. Especially Select Children. Though I don't recall there being an option to turn off Select All.  

Sorry I didn't get back to you, yesterday.

Interesting you mentioned 'shortcuts', because that is what crosses my mind, when this happens.   The 'freezing' may be my computer, but the 'select all'- that leads to it', seems to be some kind of feature, I would like to deactivate, since the only time I tried to use it, it didn't work, and I had to select everything one-by-one, anyway.  And the rest of the time, it drives me CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for replying!

When I have the time, I'll use any suggestion I get, to see if I can discontinue the 'select all' option- at least, while I'm on this computer.

Richard Haseltine said:

I have this issue sometimes, and have reported it long since. Unfortunately it is, I suspect, one of those things that is really hard to track down.

Not glad to know you have the issue, too, but glad to know I'm not the only person whose encountered it.  ...if you know what I mean.

Thanks for replying! 

phatmartino said:

This happens to me a lot and has for a while now. Even more often, I experience whatever was selected inexplicably becoming parented to whatever I select next, as though I dragged the first node to the new selection. I assumed it had to do with mouse sensitivity in some way or just my own mouse sloppiness...

Either way, It's forced me into particular habits like making sure to have the Scene Tab set up (if at all possible) in a way where there's always at least a little empty space below all the Nodes for me to click in to unselect whatever might be currently selected, before making my next selection. Or in a Node heavy scene where that's not possible, I'll have some large parts (Walls or even an entire Grouped Set/Environment), "unchecked" in the Scene Tab so that they aren't selectable in the Viewport, then I'll click on those areas in the Viewport in order to do any kind of "unselecting".

Wow, that's a lot to decipher!  I never thought about whether or not I could do some of the things you just noted.  I'm not sure I'd know how to go about it, but if I could prevent the 'select all' feature from...  ...or rather, if I could find a means to 'deselect' everything that's been selected, that would solve the problem.  So far, I have not been able to 'deselect' everything, so I've had to shutdown, and lose everything I was working on.  As time permits, I will see if I can understand the processes you are talking about.

Cenobite said:

dash2128 said:

This happens sometimes to me aswell, i'll click something in the scene file tree and everything highlights and when i click off it to say the viewport it then hides something on the model or a bunch of things like it's highlighted them to hide, i have had to unhide body parts due to this select all thing happening,, strange it just randomly happens sometimes and is down right annoying.

Mod Edit  to remove new text from within the quote box

I wish the people who upgrade the software, could 'write' that feature out of DazStudio.  Or insert a button that 'de-selects' everything.  That would help a WHOLE LOT!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• PhatmartinoPhatmartino Posts: 287
    edited April 2021

dash2128 said:

phatmartino said:

Wow, that's a lot to decipher!  I never thought about whether or not I could do some of the things you just noted.  I'm not sure I'd know how to go about it, but if I could prevent the 'select all' feature from...  ...or rather, if I could find a means to 'deselect' everything that's been selected, that would solve the problem.  So far, I have not been able to 'deselect' everything, so I've had to shutdown, and lose everything I was working on.  As time permits, I will see if I can understand the processes you are talking about.

Here's a couple visuals to help show the couple workarounds I use (btw, the "everything inexplicably becoming selected" problem happened twice while setting up these screen shots... ugh):

This area highlighted with the red box (if you become neurotic like me and keep things collapsed so that the Scene Tab would ever look like this) is where if you click in there, it will "DESELECT ALL": 

This one shows the "CHECK MARKS" you can uncheck on a Node or Group in the Scene Tab so that if you click on that "Object" or "something in that Group" in the Viewport, it will "DESELECT ALL":

So in this scene, I selected everything in the "Library Environment"  (Walls, Bookshelves, Stairs, etc) in the Scene Tab, chose: Create > New Group... Hit Accept, then unchecked that Group's Checkmark in the Scene Tab.

Now if I click on the Bookshelves, Ceiling, Staircase, etc in the Viewport, it will "Deselect All" in the Scene Tab.

01a.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    02a.PNG
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Phatmartino on

Thanks for the visuals!!!!!!!!

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

if I have a figure selected, and I select one of the figures children and/or fitted items, it sometimes selects both and everything in between them. Usually requires that I select an another, unrelated figure or click on the empty space to deselect everything, before I can continue selecting anything on that figure - Doesn't happen that often but...